Length of each song for a set? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I stick to around 2 mins on average but it depends on if the crowd are feeling the song or not but remember you can use different effects on a track to really boost another, so don't be afraid to experiment.

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    This, unless I'm playing Rapper's Delight
    Omid 16B's "Rain" is that track for me. Gotta have something ready when a long trip from the decks is needed.

Tech Guru

if you do just short transitions you will sound like an ipod shuffle.

if you do just long transitions you will sound like a jukebox.

change it up. do a good measure of short transitions, medium transitions, long transitions on all different measures of a song.

play songs for just 10 seconds, play some for their full length.

that's where you can get really creative.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    This, unless I'm playing Rapper's Delight
    That song is a DJ's best friend! A bathroom break track that fills the dancefloor.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    Omid 16B's "Rain" is that track for me. Gotta have something ready when a long trip from the decks is needed.
    Great track!!
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    Average for me is usually somewhere between 12 seconds and 12 minutes.
    Pretty much this. There are songs that work best when slammed in, there are those that have nice long intros that can be woven into another song. There are no rules. I would just say if you want to keep the energy up don't just play an entire song, loop the last 2 bars and mix into the intro of the next. Or do. If that's what's best.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lloung88 View Post
    I was just wondering when DJing live, how long does a song usually run for before you mix in something else? I don't want to bore my audience with a 6 minute song, but a lot of times there is more than one drop or maybe the vocals are only in the middle of the song.
    Surprised nobody has asked what genre you are playing?

Playing 4 minutes of a loopy minimal techno track is unlikely to go over well, whereas playing 4 minutes of a progressive psy track is... how you play progressive psy. I know that I mix much more quickly when playing techno than when playing deep house.. because there's less in the music, I have to be more active "in the mix" ...
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

True if you are playing trance or something like that, you probably are letting that track to go for about 5-6 mins. Trance tracks are long and have build ups that take forever. Cutting it short or cutting out the bang can really ruin some trance tracks.

^ for sure.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I play top 40's/Electro/Dirty Dutch so anywhere from 30 seconds to essentially the entire song. There just aren't very good - or there are very predefined - mix points in a lot of these songs. I find myself swapping drops during dutch house tracks a lot. Sometimes I'll just string drops together. Electro is pretty much the same thing. It's very frenetic mixing with less blending and more cutting from track to track. Finding interesting and new ways to mix is actually one of the more fun parts of what many would consider shitty genres to DJ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12