noob looking for help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default noob looking for help

hello i am trying to get into mixing and want to know what to buy a launchpad or a midi fighter which one is easier to use and which one has more potential

Tech Mentor

LP is cheaper and has more potential (and more buttons generally) if you're just getting started it would be the choice since it comes with Live also.

It has no turnable knobs or physical faders, but it can be mapped to slide up and down the columns for dif. things, and has banks.

Many many videos online for LP, I don't think anyone would steer you away from it.

That said, DJTT is home of the fighter, and people love it for a reason.

I use an MPK mini right now, 8 pads, 8 knobs, 25 keys (mappable to anything in most programs) and it's about half the price of the LP

But the LP still looks delicious to me :-)

which one has more buttons haha... either way both will work, see if you can find a used launch pad or midi fighter... try out different options.

Tech Mentor

LP has 64 buttons and it's 130 on amazon - midi fighter is much more than 130 and they generally have like 8 buttons, right?

You're going to want to buy a mixer or a midi controller you can use as a mixer as well. Mixing without any analogue control over volume, eq, etc is a pain in the ass...

Why the hell is everyone banging on about number of buttons? :P
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Mentor

Yeah, didn't say what your background is, or what you want to do with your controller - mashups and things are great with an LP or similar, but if you want to get into *mixing* (like traditional dj) the cheapest I would recommend is the Numark Mixtrack - I tested one out and was honestly impressed (for the price! It's less than $100!!)

If you're getting into production style dj'ing, though, my vote stands on the LP

I think faders are key for DJing to control volume levels.

3 rotaries per channel are essential for EQ levels

Some buttons for starting and stopping tracks

^^and that's just to get going mixing. Then I'd think about adding a number of extra buttons for firing off cue points, start/stop tracks, FX, and more rotaries for FX.

Tech Mentor

The MixTrack didn't have enough buttons for my tastes, but for starting out (and with half decent platters!) I highly recommend it to anyone starting out in the bedroom.

But since he said he was looking at LP vs Arcade I figured it's more loop/cue/mashup style that he's going for.

Well he described himself as a noob so I doubt he has any experience producing, something which is vital for this "mashup" ableton clip launching style.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Mentor

I am a mixing noob with plenty of experience performing, composing, and producing =D

But for standard rudiments, anyone second the Mixtrack recommendation?

(btw, popinjay, you could use an LP with Traktor and have a bajillion cue/loop/fx/cue/cue/cue buttons and a single auto-fade hehe...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast