Buying One Monitor At A Time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Buying One Monitor At A Time

I was thinking of taking advantage of the guitar center vouchers that are floating around to buy myself a pair of KRK Rockits. Unfortunately I only have enough budgeted to buy one monitor :/

Would this be with it ( would it sound ok? ) or would i be better off waiting until I can buy a pair together?

Tech Mentor

just buy one now, nothing to loose it's only half off. if anything it will make saving up for the next one easier.

Tech Mentor

mono is fine.

go ahead. just make sure that when you buy the second one it's the same!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I did this when I bought my Mackie HR624 monitors.

It was the most painful 6 months of my life! Having just one monitor is much worse than you'd think. The stereo image from a pair of monitors creates a 'wall of sound'. When you just have one monitor it is very noticeable and surprisingly hard to produce with. It's much worse than 50% monitoring (if that makes sense).

Having said that, it was the only way I could afford them (this was before Mackie started manufacturing monitors in China so they cost around £450 each). If its the choice between buying a pair of shit monitors together or one quality monitor, then go for the quality monitor every time. Just be prepared for a bit of a disappointment (I guess it'll make saving up for the 2nd monitor easier though!)

Had to return 1 of my KRK5's recently. Went the OTHER way - stereo to mono. Man it was rough. (Have since swopped the 5's for 6's). You will certainly appreciate the full stereo once it DOES hasppen.
    356 reasons why

Tech Mentor

Production wise wait Dj wise fuck it

Tech Mentor

some of the great producers in the world mix in mono. Lee Perry comes to mind. if you want a wall of sound, get 1 big ass speaker. mono for life.

Quote Originally Posted by sardu View Post
    some of the great producers in the world mix in mono. Lee Perry comes to mind. if you want a wall of sound, get 1 big ass speaker. mono for life.
    producing in mono is different from producing in stereo with just one monitor (you'll only hear the left or right channels).

but even if you set your DAW to mono, it's still worse producing in mono with just one monitor, rather than two monitors in mono.

unless you can get the monitor to be equi-distant between both your two ears (difficult unless you don't have a computer screen).

but I guess it's down to opinion... give it a try, but imho it really sucks having just one monitor for production.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    it's still worse producing in mono with just one monitor, rather than two monitors in mono.

unless you can get the monitor to be equi-distant between both your two ears (difficult unless you don't have a computer screen).
    have you ever been in a recording studio? not many have monitors literally on the sides of a computer screen. they are either on top of the console, on stands behind the console, or up on the walls/built in.

one monitor on a stand behind and above your monitor is perfect.
    I always tell my clients to mix there albums entirely in mono, and then do the panning last.
    the interplay between frequencies + timbre mix much better when done in mono.
    ask the beatles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast