Words to describe....
    Tech Guru

Default Words to describe....

Im making some playlists on how i describe HOUSE music using simple words...

GROOVY
    DEEP
    DARK
    etc.

what would you use
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

wut ?

like, electro, tribal, progressive, tech...
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

There are so many ways to classify house music (or music), none of them definite. Use something you like.

Me myself prefer a two level approach, one is house music and it's sub-genres, electro, acid, tech, prog et rest. The other level is the energy level, from 1 to 5, slow to high-end energy. 0 is reserved for unplayable music. This means that if you have playlists with sorting options, you could find a genre, start playing stuff from the lesser-energy same BPMS up to higher-energy faster BPMs. If you have the key of the song saved somewhere, too, it helps.

Note that maps really well to the iTunes metadata tags in combination with Traktor, hint hint.
    Last edited by ksandvik; 08-19-2011 at 02:42 PM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    There are so many ways to classify house music (or music), none of them definite. Use something you like.

Me myself prefer a two level approach, one is house music and it's sub-genres, electro, acid, tech, prog et rest. The other level is the energy level, from 1 to 5, slow to high-end energy. 0 is reserved for unplayable music. This means that if you have playlists with sorting options, you could find a genre, start playing stuff from the lesser-energy same BPMS up to higher-energy faster BPMs. If you have the key of the song saved somewhere, too, it helps.

Note that maps really well to the iTunes metadata tags in combination with Traktor, hint hint.
    I do pretty much this, but my energy rating goes 1-10. Other than that I just use the common terms out there.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Does anyone have a good system for "emotion" as well. Like for example how certain trance songs can be very uplifting and euphoric, while others ( like tech trance ) can be darker?

@riotto : when a tune brings up an emotion, I'll add appropriate keywords to the "comments" field (along with the usual "tool" "vox" "epic breakdown" etc)
    To go along with that, the corresponding column gets a good portion of Traktor's browser, and I'm always displaying that field in the deck display.

Tech Mentor

Where do you guys store the energy level? The comments section?
    Prefer not to use the ratings, as I like to keep that for what it's meant to be..
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds