How did you come up with your DJ Name?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default How did you come up with your DJ Name?

This may have been the most difficult mental struggle I have ever encountered. For the last two months, I've been trying to come up with a DJ name. I've played a few gigs here and there, but now that things are picking up (700+ person paid gigs, wooo!) I REAAAALLLYYYY need to decide on something.

How did you decide on yours? What's your story?

Since everybody's staking out valuable space on the internet, I've come to figure out that just about every possible combination of letters has been taken, usually by some 28-friend high schooler on myspace. I've attached a couple short clips to give a tiny window into what I do. Maybe if you have some free time, I'd love to hear observations/input.

Live: [ame]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=233690746676179[/ame]
    Promo: [ame="http://vimeo.com/27364335"]DJ Promo on Vimeo[/ame]

I understand branding is unbelievably important, I've even got a friend with a plotter and hundreds of feet of vinyl for stickers, and a major in graphic design. This is the weak link. I mean, a name is just a name. Am I putting too much thought into this?

Tech Wizard

Well for me it was a bit of a process aswell. I didnt want to go with a name with DJ in the title, and my full name sounded boring and too "formal" for parties so I was at a loss.

Eventually I just started playing around with my name. My first name is Richard and my middle name is Otto, so I took the Ri from Richard, and my middle name, combined them to make Riotto.

Interesting approach! Today, I had written down all the DJ/Producer names that had word aesthetics I enjoyed, (Vaski, Avicii, Kaskade, Rusko, Netsky, Skrillex, etc.) and tried to take bits and pieces, or use similar letters.

Thanks for the input, riotto!

Anybody else?

I actually didn't come up with my name. It sort of grew on me and stuck. :U

Onimode is my older brother's old alias that he used when he played StarCraft. Many years after that time, we got an Xbox 360. He made the gamertag for Xbox Live OniMode. He joined the Air Force and left the Xbox to my little brother and I. Since many of my friends would refer to me as Onimode whenever we played some Modern Warfare 2, they decided to call me Onimode when I DJ'ed their parties. Additionally, one of my friends told the activity director at my school to call me Onimode on the flyer for a school dance, so the rest of my high school called me Onimode for a while.

By the way, you've got a lot of nice toys there. /want.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

amidoinitrite

DJ Bl3nd3r?

Default How did you come up with your DJ Name?

I used to fight a lot and hate on people so I was bestowed the name Hate by my friends. When I started to Dj well, it was only natural to have DJ attached to the beginning of that moniker.

I cant suggest anything, but I like Riotto put together a name for my production projects using parts of my name and a certain colour (not Ajrindy, that's actually closer to my real name, but Rindigo, you can find me on soundcloud if you like)

I just want to say that your videos are fabulous, particularly the second one, the promo video. top tier stuff, and I can definitely see this netting you a lot of good things. it's flashy, well edited, interesting, and shows that you are SERIOUS BUSINESS

Tech Guru

i grew up by a nest of hawks and their bird call sounded like "wrong chris" "wrong chris".

it wasn't until years later i understood what the call of the hawk meant. we'll never know if the birds knew all along....

Any time I watch TV, am on a flight, or was just bored I had a part of my notebook just for brainstorming. I came up with a list of 4-names in the end and added in a Fifth that my Pops came up with... My pop's idea won sadly, so I have no good advice really.

My favorite band came up with their name when the lead singer took his top 5 travel list and just played with the words. At the end of the list there were the words "And Berlin" he combined them and made the band name "Anberlin." Not sure if that helps at all, but maybe the name should mean something to you, so look at what you already have around you.

If you want a funny or cool one instead of a meaningful one just get a notepad to brainstorm with and set a deadline so you focus on it.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast