Moving towards Wav files -> Traktor question. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

there was a thread that went into lossless formats way deep not long ago... The bottom line was to use Flac for PCs and aiff for macs, although aiff has good results on PC as well. Hope that helps.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

amidoinitrite

VERY interesting!

1) are you planning on playing out on studio monitors in treated rooms?
    2) the actual mixing/mastering of a track makes a lot larger difference than 320 vs lossless.

but.. its your preference!
    I'd save the money and buy properly produced 320s

Quote Originally Posted by amidoinitrite View Post
    VERY interesting!

1) are you planning on playing out on studio monitors in treated rooms?
    I play out in large events using my own sound system. So, the goal is good un-compressed dynamics. Hard drives are very inexpensive these days to settle for compressed mp3 files.

2) the actual mixing/mastering of a track makes a lot larger difference than 320 vs lossless.

but.. its your preference!
    I'd save the money and buy properly produced 320s
    Yes. Mixing & Mastering does make a difference. Fortunately I have been recording and mastering for the past 15 years using Samplitude. I have a full understanding on what is needed to ensure the best audio quality.

Basically I will be transferring vinyl to a digital format using 88.2 kHz 24-bit wav formats. The difference between 96 kHz versus 88.2 kHz is not noticeable enough to record @ 96 kHz.

I am “Old School” so, I don’t require tags, cover arts and, all those other perks aimed around mp3s.

Why not Flac? Wav & AIFF is the standard in the professional audio world. DAWs default settings are always Wav for PC users. I don’t see any benefit recording with Flac other than hard drive space savings. I’ve purchased “3” one-terabyte drives. I don’t see myself running out of hard drive space with three terabytes at my disposal.

I might add I use a desktop so everything is stored in the computer which stays in an ATA rack. I’ve waited years for the prices to drop on one-terabyte hard drives to make this transition and leave mp3s for good.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abercrombie View Post

I am “Old School” so, I don’t require tags, cover arts and, all those other perks aimed around mp3s.

I'm old skool too. Almost all my records had cover art
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I'm old skool too. Almost all my records had cover art
    I own lots of 12-inch dance versions so a White Label with an artist name and song title written with a pen is artistic as it gets.

Yeah I got plenty o White labels too. Dismissing artworks connection to music labels as some fandangled gimmick for mp3s is odd.

When mixing spontaneously in a dark club I find artwork helpful. As I did with vinyl... Something uninspiring about lists of words for me.

Artworks a valid tool IMO
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Yeah I got plenty o White labels too. Dismissing artworks connection to music labels as some fandangled gimmick for mp3s is odd.
    It may seem odd for your requirements, but not for my requirements. It is no different than someone choosing to use an mp3 over a wav file. People choose what is best for their needs. Only the indecisive will find them selves struggling on which direction to take. Being indecisive is just not one of my traits.

When mixing spontaneously in a dark club I find artwork helpful. As I did with vinyl... Something uninspiring about lists of words for me.

Artworks a valid tool IMO
    DJs differ greatly. My main concern is the name of the artist and the song title. I get inspiration being surrounded by a very hyper crowd and interacting with them.

Just because we are DJs doesn't mean our needs will be the same.

Cheers!

amidoinitrite

Very nice! That makes sense! Best of luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12