How does audio clipping affect my track? (sound quality vs volume)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How does audio clipping affect my track? (sound quality vs volume)

Before you all hate on me for posting a nooby question, im asking this because when i record and upload mixes to soundcloud, in concerned that my mixes full volume wont be that loud, especially if people are listening to it through low power audio players (mobile phones) or complain cause they have to turn their speakers up lol. Maybe im overthinking this but id like someone elses opinion.

But my general question is, what exactly does the red cap on the main output mean?
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/e2d8a
    I know i can turn down my master volume and turn up my speakers to stop the clipping red line, but i cant see any difference in the sound quality comparing 'non-clipping' and 'clipping' apart from the fact the low volume does annoy me.

Please post ur opinions!

Tech Guru

clipping is bad full stop. the headroom in traktor and the audio 8 is good enough so you shouldnt be able to do major damage to anything.

essentially when ur clipping an audio signal, ur asking the speaker to do the impossible and get to a position its not designed to. instead of having a nice smooth shape to follow from each end of its movement range, when you clip the audio your pushing the speaker beyond its range of movement which will result in a blown speaker. the other interpretation is that the speaker has to change direction extremely quickly compared to when its following a nice smooth waveform.

one way to look at it is if you have a close look at your waveforms in traktor...thats exactly how the speaker moves to produce the sound
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Record a track on Traktor and clip it, then play it back on a system. You'll get why Chris says it's bad.
    356 reasons why

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    Record a track on Traktor and clip it, then play it back on a system. You'll get why Chris says it's bad.
    thats the thing, i tried recording a short mix with clipping and my speakers down
    tried the same thing with my levels right and my speakers higher
    pretty sure i cant see much of a difference.... i think
    im using logitech z2300 speakers too, they have some pretty powerful grunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    "Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"

Tech Wizard

thanks for ur response chris!

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    one way to look at it is if you have a close look at your waveforms in traktor...thats exactly how the speaker moves to produce the sound
    i should definitely take this into consideration, i would never do it live cause i can just adjust the speaker levels
    also im just using my laptop soundcard output, looking into investing in a audio 2 dj pretty soon hopefully

You can't really hear a little bit of clipping because its only a couple of the least significant bits being truncated. More clipping = more bits dropping off = more distortion. On bigger systems it will take less to notice, but if you push it enough you can hear it very plainly even on earbuds. Also an A2 will be able to go MUCH louder than a typical laptop soundcard, so that will definitely help you out.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If you're concerned about volume why don't you just raise the volume post mix in something like audacity? you can set it so that it will raise to the max volume possible without clipping.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by FaunKeH View Post
    thats the thing, i tried recording a short mix with clipping and my speakers down
    tried the same thing with my levels right and my speakers higher
    pretty sure i cant see much of a difference.... i think
    im using logitech z2300 speakers too, they have some pretty powerful grunt!
    Nothing wrong with Z2300's but PA 'grunt' is a different animal - which is why the speaker(s) can 'blow'. As DD says, an external soundcard will significantly change all that. In the meantime, get the ASIO driver for your laptop. (It's the recommended driver for the A2 as well).
    356 reasons why

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    the other interpretation is that the speaker has to change direction extremely quickly compared to when its following a nice smooth waveform.
    so does that speed up the music?
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If you're concerned about volume why don't you just raise the volume post mix in something like audacity? you can set it so that it will raise to the max volume possible without clipping.
    that is a damn good idea...
    lol i think i might have had the impression audacity would clip too, nvm

solves everything haha thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast