Sample Rate ???? 44100 44800 48000 etc ...

Default Sample Rate ???? 44100 44800 48000 etc ...

Hey all,

Never really understood what its all about, can anyone exoplain in lamens terms.

I never mess with the settings i always use the default of 44100 i think it is (probably totally wrong)

anyway any help much apreciated.

Cheers
    Gav

44100 should be enough, though I have seen the EKS Otus needing a 48k setting, otherwise it would not work on a macbook.

Which still is silly, as most things come in 44100 as standard.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

what is happening though ... what would i gain by upping my sample rate...??

I guess this is aimed at the traktor setting but also when i'm recording using soundforge ?

At this point nothing. Being that 44k1 is still a much used standard.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Imagine a song is made up of all these tiny tiny little samples that are all strung together to make a song. The sample rate refers to the length of these samples, the higher the sample rate then these samples are smaller and smaller so there are more of these tiny samples go into making up the song - the result of which is a higher sound quality.

Check out this wikipedia entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_rate

Here's an excellent article I read concerning all to do with the formation of digital sound:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep0...gitalmyths.htm
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

I want to attempt it too

Most humans can hear frequencies between 20 Hz and 20,000 Hz.
    There is the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem, which says that analog signals can be reconstructed by using twice the maximum frequence it initially has.
    That would be 40,000 Hz.
    The additional 4,100Hz which are most commonly used (or 48,000 Hz for DAT and a bit higher quality) to allow for the cut-off slope of a reasonable band-pass filter.

Now and reading the other replies, you should be able to decide if using 48kHz is necessary for you.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community