best controller/software for multiple-genre mobile dj?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default best controller/software for multiple-genre mobile dj?

hi everyone,
    i've been using serato scratch live + 1200's for the past several years, and am considering making the switch to a controller. i've been reading up on the numark ns6, pioneer ddj-s1 and pioneer ddj-t1, xone dx, etc.

i primarily play mobile gigs, and like to switch between genres (dance music, hip hop, dancehall, disco, 80s, indie rock, motown, cumbia, salsa, reggaeton, merengue, etc) quickly.

what controller/s would you recommend for someone like me? i'd like a 4-channel setup, and am not really tied to serato (aka i'm just as fine switching to traktor as i am switching to itch).

thanks!

Tech Mentor

There isn't one correct answer to this, go with what you feel most comfortable with. Head to your local store and check out some controllers!
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

Tech Wizard

TWITCH if you don't need jogwheels
    | 13" Macbook Pro | Novation Twitch | Kontrol X1 | Bose QuietComfort 15 Headphones | Traktor Pro 2 | Serato Itch |

well... i thought the same thing not long ago and figured out that the best control over multiple genres will be DVS with turntables... smallish controller like X1, or Dicers, or midifighter might complement your needs... do you really need more than 2 decks?
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleG View Post
    TWITCH if you don't need jogwheels
    He did say he wanted 4 channels. For genres like that, ITCH might be better with its elastic beatgrids. I'd recommend the NS6 as a beast of a 4 channel controller with analogue input option.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

NS6 sounds like what youre leaning towards. havent used the ns6 but i can testify from experience with numarks other itch controllers, that shit from numark is top notch

i would get the denon mc-6000 over the ns6 any day

Tech Guru

I woud get the DDJ-S1 with Itch. Familiar set up SSL. Lighter than most, has better feel that most also. Sound card sounds great. For the extra two decks Itch's SP6 is syncable and has keylock. I had an NS7 it's a heavy beast. Tried the NS6 didn't like the feel. Had an S4, didn't enjoy the feel. Ultimately, a mixer and CDJ's felt best. The DDJ-S1 is pretty damn close to that.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    definitely...

the denon mc-6000 is made for the mobile dj! everything a mobile dj needs from a controller & mixer is in this unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    too cramped for my taste.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast