Help, frustrated new dj hit a wall.

Default Help, frustrated new dj hit a wall.

First post on this forum.
    Love the site, you guys have already given me more help than anyone else on the web, and I hadn't even registered yet. But I'm finally getting to that point where my troubleshooting is too specific to search. Either I'm too stupid to figure some things out, or I've overestimated the capabilities of my software and hardware.

Be aware that I'm not a producer, and I'm barely a dj. I'm just an ex jam band sound nerd that hopes to achieve the status of both dj and producer. I'm still in my learning stages.

Computer: 64-bit Windows 7 Laptop (And I'm not too keen on trying to get OSX to run on it just to use mac applications like soundflower.)

Software: FL Studio 9, Traktor Pro 2, Ableton Live, and a Demo version of Reaper that I'll upgrade if I can get it to do what I want.

Goal 1: To run Traktor Pro 2 with my S4 controller, WHILE mixing, sampling, and looping live VSTs from FL Studio 9 and/or Ableton live, in sync.

I have a demo version of Reaper, because I heard great things about it's rewire capablities, but I haven't had much success using it with Traktor Pro 2. Is TP2 compatible with reaper's rewire yet? Because everything I found on the web about it was from around 2008, and everyone was complaining about traktor not supporting rewire.

I've been toying around with FL Studio and Ableton for ages now with little to no hardware use, and I got into traktor little over a week ago, I'm very satisfied with all 3 programs, I just need advice on how I could integrate them to work together for live production/remixing

My second goal is a lot noobier, and I'm aware that belongs on the image-line forum, but I have a grudge against posting there, and FL Studio is basic enough that someone has to know.

Goal 2: When Running FL Studio, and using a synth pluging such as Toxic Biohazard on a usb midi controller, I want to be able to switch the controller to another synth (like Toxic Biohazard over to Sytrus, etc) without having to use my mouse to highlight it in the step sequencer.
    It's been bothering me for ages that I can midi map just about EVERYTHING in Toxic Biohazard to controllers, but I can't map buttons for switching even the default asdfg keyboard to a different synth without clicking it in the step sequencer.
    Last edited by SirEuphemism; 08-25-2011 at 02:32 AM.

1/ that's a quite difficult task and the s4 is just not the right product to do so. And trying to do it on a pc is just nightmare.

Basically you create virtual outputs using jack audio (the windows version) - good luck for the settings and for the latency that will come out of it - that you include as tracks inside Ableton. Then you'll realize you need another soundcard and that the latency sucks big time and makes the whole unplayable.

My own frustrating experience, not the truth but you get the idea. I passed some time on the issue but in the end just because of the latency I got it made no sense and the s4 is just not made or thought to do this kind of things.

you might find it easier just using Ableton. I wanted to do something to similar to you, and that's what I settled on. got me an APC40, and now that, (with my midi fighter pro), is my current DJ setup.

I still use traktor with an old midi controller and midi fighter pro if I want to simply mix between tracks and throw in the odd effect. but for all the complicated(/fun) stuff, Ableton all the way. once you start running VSTs live in Ableton things get unstable and complicated enough as it is..

It's indeed best to do baby steps. I really like Ableton Live but I doubt I could need it that much with Traktor/S4 as triggering 8 samples max is more than plenty. That and four different effect chains... And the global sampler. It would keep anyone busy on-stage for most of the evening without the need to have Ableton Live running *).

Excluding live playback of sw synths, of course.

I'm gonna say it, because I know it will come up even if I don't.

Lear to walk before you can run. Learn the basics on the S4. Learn the basics of Ableton. There's no point trying to do everything straight away. You'll need at least a few months of getting to know the hardware before you're even ready.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

If worst comes to worst I WILL buy another external sound card, I'm just hoping I can pull it off JUST with virtual in/outs. I know there has to be someone out there doing it without getting wrecked by latency.

I'm aware that I'm rushing things a lot, but I've been playing with vsts, and laptop beat producing for a MUCH longer time than I've been DJing. It's just part of my work flow for me to think half way through a mix "I need this synth instrument here, and this is how I make it" while I'm IN that juggling mode on the s4. Plus I have the extra controllers left that I feel bad not having available when there are technically two available sound cards infront of me.

and I've tried being a "just ableton" guy. I appreciate it, and I recognize it's full potential. The grid/pad layout of ableton hardware just doesn't keep me entertained enough. I'm very ocd about workflow, and favor native instruments. I decided a while ago that either maschine or the traktor were going to be my main toys, I'm just trying to get everything I can out of my software.

do as it pleases you. Threre are some nice VST to play with that are largely superior than Traktor'sfx so you're request is more than legitimate.

I had a go yesterday once again but I like last time failed miserably.
    However I found those two videos that you find of interest even if the example is far for being the same. You have different issues with the S4. But it may help to get the idea roughly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvVr...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrAIR...eature=related