Tips for playing at a club for the first time
    Tech Convert

Default Tips for playing at a club for the first time

I recently e-mailed a club to see if i could possibly DJ sometime there and sent along a 1 hour sound cloud mix in the e-mail and to my surprise I got an e-mail back and they want me to come play! But this is my first time ever playing at a club of any sort. This place usually packs in anywhere between 300-400 people a night. All I'm ever used to is DJ'ing at small to medium sized bars here and there.

What are some tips you guys could give me? Anything would be cool. How should I prepare myself mentally and/or physically? What are/have been some of your own experiences?

I read a post on djtechtools that when a lot of people play bigger venues like this, they aren't ready for how loud the actual bass is and it knocks them on their ass and the reverberation from it makes it difficult to cue the next song in sync.

Thanks guys!

take sweets.. and search a little in the forums. .a lot of threads with the same question..

make sure to be get to test the venue some hours before it opens to check everything..

and i was serious about the candy
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

earplugs are lifesavers...outta curiousity can you post the email you sent?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by seitz View Post
    earplugs are lifesavers...outta curiousity can you post the email you sent?
    yea no problem.. here it is.

Hello *insert marketing manager name here*! My name is *insert my name here* and I'm looking to DJ at Typhoon Saloon sometime. I went with *insert mutual friends name here* to Typhoon Saloon a while back and met him through you and you gave me your business card. I e-mailed you a few months ago and haven't heard anything back so I thought I'd give it another shot. You can check out my newest mix which has 400+ listen in 2 weeks right here: http://soundcloud.com/kennyshucker5/...ugust-5th-2011

If you have any question I will be glad to answer. Hope to hear back from you soon Mike!

/end e-mail.

400+ in two weeks? sheeeeit

link it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    link it.
    u shure know that there is a link
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    400+ in two weeks? sheeeeit

link it.
    http://soundcloud.com/kennyshucker5/...ugust-5th-2011

i don't know what the hell it is about this damn mix.. this is pretty much how i do all my mixes when i post them but for some reason i got over 400 listens in 2 weeks.. i usually get about 40-50 views on my other mixes max so i decided there must have been something special about this one so i sent the link along with the e-mail.

Tech Wizard

you like sydney samson i see :P

Tech Convert

yea, a lot of his remix's are good.. not a big fan of his newer original tracks though.

Congrats mate - it shows that you can get gigs just by asking promoters.
    There are lots of threads about this - and I'm sure there's an old blog post on the main site as well - have a read theough those.

You don't say what equipment you use but if you're taking your own make sure you take back-up cables and stuff..
    I've been caught out with a dodgy USB lead before

If you're on cd's - take a back up.
    I usually burn 2 lots of everything on seperate cd's then take a back up with 9-10 tracks on each cd.

Make sure you've got some good headphones. If not go buy some.

Make sure you know most of your set and have a practice if you think you need to - it helps when the nerves kick in that you know where/when to mix your next track.

Take at least one buddy for a bit of support.

Have a drink with the other dj/dj's if possible - it helps when they tell the promoter you're a decent chap.

Most importantly:
    Have fun - interact with the dancefloor even if it's just smiling at the chicks and the occasional hand in the air.

Good luck mate

Oh I'm sure some people will comment about preparing your set and reading the dancefloor, blah blah blah
    I agree but trust me your first few gigs its best to prepare.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail as my old rugby coach used to shout at me
    SC | MC