Transition from Traktor to Cdjs!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

this again? really??? maybe we should have a bloody sub forum just for arguing the benefits of beat matching verses sync

for the record i started out on vinyl 15 years ago (ish) and can beatmatch but now mostly use sync. but do i really give a toss about how other people sync? nah...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Convert

Woah, I didnt mean to start an argument on this, just wanted to share my own trials and tribulations of djing The only reason im doing it is to get a different perspective of mixing which I believe will help my mixing overall! And for the record I PREFER djing with Traktor way more with the SYNC enabled. Burning all those cds SUCKS ASS!! :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    The problem is, the smallest increment you can get on the CDJ pitch is 0.15 BPM in Traktor. I did some tests when I was convinced the music was either drifting or unable to match.
    0.15BPM increments with timecode? Wow, the software sure is accurate!

How do I get this? Lets take a 128bpm track. A 0.15bpm adjustment is a 0.12% change in pitch, and since Traktor uses a 2kHz control tone, this is a variation of 2Hz it can detect! I bet you couldnt distinguish that by ear!

So in theory, with the same pitch detection accuracy of 2Hz, a 1kHz Serato conrol tone can do a minimum of 0.26bpm increment. So, who's the superiour software now?
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Synec View Post
    Do I really have to say it?

If you don't take the time to EVER learn how to beatmatch, I have no respect for you as a DJ. DJing is a trade/art/craft and one should learn ALL of the tools if they are to be good.

So good for you, youre on the right track!
    +1 from me on that dude! I just cant bring myself to take those djs who can't beat match and use all-in-one controllers seriously...i know ive no real justification but its just how it is!

CDJs take the worst aspects of vinyl and digital. You have no idea where in the track you are, the resolution of the pitch sliders are often poor and you have to burn the CDs.
    couldnt disagree more, especially with the whole pioneer range. and to put into context, i started 12 years ago using shit TT's, then got 1210's. then got a pair of CDJ500s' then CDJ800mk1's....im still using those 800's, havent mixed on my TT's for around 2-3 years now (apart from using them with TSP2 a few months ago for 1 night). I can do all the same tricks, scratch just as good, beatjuggle etc...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Quote Originally Posted by jezalenko View Post
    0.15BPM increments with timecode? Wow, the software sure is accurate!

How do I get this? Lets take a 128bpm track. A 0.15bpm adjustment is a 0.12% change in pitch, and since Traktor uses a 2kHz control tone, this is a variation of 2Hz it can detect! I bet you couldnt distinguish that by ear!

So in theory, with the same pitch detection accuracy of 2Hz, a 1kHz Serato conrol tone can do a minimum of 0.26bpm increment. So, who's the superiour software now?
    The problem isn't with the software, but with the resolution of the pitch slider. I'm fairly certain you don't have the problem with the analogue sliders on TTs. On the CD deck, ti doesn't matter how little i move the slider, it just jumps +/- .15bpm. I had the same problem even before I had them hooked up to Traktor.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

The problem isn't with the software, but with the resolution of the pitch slider. I'm fairly certain you don't have the problem with the analogue sliders on TTs. On the CD deck, ti doesn't matter how little i move the slider, it just jumps +/- .15bpm. I had the same problem even before I had them hooked up to Traktor.
    an endless encoder is handy for fine adjustments ofc - unless you rely on the absolute position of the pitch fader - but even then soft take over would help with that esp as its only fine adjustments you'd be using the encoder for. set the encoder to as small increments as u need.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

I'm fine doing it the old fashioned way of jogging the platters.

If I'm DJing out ever, I would prefer to use four channels with the X1s anyway! It's just bugbear of my equipment.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by scut_07 View Post
    Woah, I didnt mean to start an argument on this, just wanted to share my own trials and tribulations of djing The only reason im doing it is to get a different perspective of mixing which I believe will help my mixing overall! And for the record I PREFER djing with Traktor way more with the SYNC enabled. Burning all those cds SUCKS ASS!! :eek:
    i suspect i over reacted i know a debate on sync verses manual beatmatching wasn't the point of your OP and all...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123