Transition from Traktor to Cdjs!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Transition from Traktor to Cdjs!!

So im using traktor now for about a year and its all I know. I started on it and have never learned to beatmatch, so a few days ago I borrowed a pair of cdjs and a mixer off a friend to have a go and boy did I get a shock!! I never realised how hard it was to beatmatch manually but I actually quite enjoyed it! The plan is to now refine my skills until i can beatmatch proficiently. As a result of this im finding myself mixing better in Traktor! I also believe every dj should know how to beatmatch even if they do use sync because it'll make you a better dj in the longrun.

Tech Wizard

Do I really have to say it?

If you don't take the time to EVER learn how to beatmatch, I have no respect for you as a DJ. DJing is a trade/art/craft and one should learn ALL of the tools if they are to be good.

So good for you, youre on the right track!

Turn off sync in Traktor and you could learn it with any controller hooked to Traktor, too.

PS: As a bonus attempt, cover or don't show BPM settings.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Turn off sync in Traktor and you could learn it with any controller hooked to Traktor, too.

Ya I know mate but just using cds in itself just adds to the authenticity
    Ya the hardest thing I find is getting the bpms correct, once you have that done theres only so far you can be out in between the beats. A lot of practice is needed but it shall be worth the effort.

Tech Mentor

Hmmm I did the oposite. I learned on 1200s and Vynol. Satered DJ'ing at 15, i'm 30 now. Now I merged todays stuff to create a Hybrid style. 1200's with DVS Traktor and Controllers merging Traktor and Ableton. I am having so much more fun now.

CDJs take the worst aspects of vinyl and digital. You have no idea where in the track you are, the resolution of the pitch sliders are often poor and you have to burn the CDs. I would only recommend them with TSP2 DVS. Get some TTs and a crate of vinyl classics if you really want to learn the trade. Otherwise, stick with digital.

DISCLAIMER: I own a set of CD decks.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Just my comment on this. I see this mentioned a lot and I just want to say that you should only turn off the current BPM. But keep the track BPM visible.

The reason I say this is even with vinyl you *should* know the BPM of the track. One of the basic steps of DJ'ing/beatmatching is BPM'ing your records.

Good luck and have fun!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    CDJs take the worst aspects of vinyl and digital. You have no idea where in the track you are, the resolution of the pitch sliders are often poor and you have to burn the CDs. I would only recommend them with TSP2 DVS. Get some TTs and a crate of vinyl classics if you really want to learn the trade. Otherwise, stick with digital.

DISCLAIMER: I own a set of CD decks.
    Hrtbrkd its not that I think its more fun its just a different kind of challenge, I too prefer getting creative with Traktor using effects and chopping tracks up with cue points and so forth but this just feels like something different! Ya happydan id love to go back and start using some vinyl but i couldnt justify spending all the money on it! But i agree with you on the limitations of the cd decks! Im using the denons DNS-1200 and the pitch faders and bpm counters are very poor!

I was the same way. Went from straight CDJs to CDJs and Traktor. I enjoyed mixing without software, but my mixer was really lacking any sort of fun, experimental fx or filters.

I have since gone back to Traktor ad CDJs, mainly for the FX, but also because I am a cuepoint freak and like to see where I originally marked the points at. I do turn off the phase meter though, which helps keeping you beatmatch.

Would be interested in seeing if those who are on TT and CDJs really do remove the BPM or phase meter....
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post

Would be interested in seeing if those who are on TT and CDJs really do remove the BPM or phase meter....
    I doubt they cover the current BPM (that with some system shows BPM down to two decimals) which makes beat matching also a no-brainer with CDJs -- as long as you learn how to do any initial adjustments on the jog wheel when you start on the cue and it's not 1:1 with the original beat position.

But beat matching with no BPM values what-so-ever, that's true beat matching.
    Last edited by ksandvik; 08-25-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast