Looking 4 Connecticut Controllerists
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Looking 4 Connecticut Controllerists

Hey everyone, my name is Jonathan Lee, aka DJ Unbound. I am located in Connecticut and am looking to start a club night in Hartford. I have found a very suitable location right downtown that will host our event. I am looking for controllerists who are interested in being a part of the house music/controllerist movement in CT. Some club/live experience is preffered, but if your a basement DJ with some talent who wants to spread his wings in the club environment that's cool too.

To tell you guys about myself real quick: I started DJing in my basement in 2009 after a few months of listening to Tiesto's In Search of Sunrise V.6... Vocal Trance was my gateway drug into the EDM scene. I was following YouTube video's like crazy, watching tutorials and other DJ's mix on camera.
    My first piece of kit was the Torq xponent, then I bought traktor pro and got into some midi mapping. Now I use an Allen & Heath Xone DX (with Traktor) or I'll use a VCI Arcade + Midi Fighter. I mix mostly Tech House, Vocal House/Trance, Neo Trance, Minimal, some breakbeat and dubstep also. I have experience playing as a Wedding/Prom DJ, High Schools, and house party's and am trying to create a place for house music lovers and controllerists to collaberate in the Connecticut area.

If you are interested in attending the club night, or being a part of the controllerist/house movement in CT please check out our Facebook Page. Thanks for the support! Also if you are interested in DJing at the event, please PM me or contact me via facebook.

I'm over here in Europe so can't help you out, but liked the FB-page anyway. Good luck man, the US needs some proper DJ's and house music.

Just like above.

Sounds like you are a DJ turning into promoter which makes perfect sense. You joined last year which if I recall you must have seen some front page blog posts about what promoters needs in order to have a sucessful career. If you have not seen those, I suggest to search the front page articles for some awesome and helpful information.

FB Like and best of luck!!
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the support you guys! We definitely need some less-mainstream style EDM in the States. @Quenepas I have checked out those articles, and will probably return to them again and again as this movement continues to take shape. DJTT has really helped shape my DJ ideology and career... Thanks again!

Good for you trying to create something interesting. No sure how the talent is there but Chicago could surely use something as inviting as something you are creating. I resident and guest at a few clubs in Chicago and I can tell you if you came in carrying in a controller, you might get laughed out.

There is a huge amount of local New England folk out there who use controllers. Many of the "local" DJ's who do the events around use Traktor or Serato, and many even have a controller setup (rather than TT's or CDJ's) to go along with.

http://www.newraveorder.com/ <~~ That's one of the forums where a lot of the local talent hangs out. Not to say some aren't set in their ways, but something to look into. I know around here there is a growing Traktor following (Endo is from Boston if I'm not mistaken) and all sorts of other things.

One thing I'd suggest, and not saying this is a bad approach... but go to the local shows. Talk to the DJ's who you like, who might fit the style you are going for. Most of them around here are very chill people.

I'd also like to add... Hartford is one of the happening-ist places in New England right now, and Providence a close second. I'd say they probably have more events down there than in MA, because MA has some fucked laws about shows.

It sounds a lot to me that you want to get into the game... but the game is already moving. You need to get out there and experience the CURRENT local scene before you try to build off your own tangent. There are a ton of different events and parties going on, check them out.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Whyte View Post
    the US needs some proper DJ's and house music.
    If you are implying there is a shortage of good DJ's in the US, you are unfortunately mistaken. If you feel it's house DJ's in particular, I'd say you're even more mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    http://www.newraveorder.com/ <~~ That's one of the forums where a lot of the local talent hangs out.
    I'd say don't bother. It's a ghost town of a forum. Had you been around about 5 years ago, that was it's prime. Now, it's nothing but a few people left, and for the most part useless. That leads me to the next point...

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    It sounds a lot to me that you want to get into the game... but the game is already moving. You need to get out there and experience the CURRENT local scene before you try to build off your own tangent. There are a ton of different events and parties going on, check them out.
    Definitely do this. Check out the Tight Crew parties. They are it as far as Rave events go in the area. They do it like parties used to be a while back, and almost get the same numbers too. If you're in Hartford, check out Mad Dog's on Union on Tuesdays for a mixed bag of House/Techno. Thursday, you can find some good house over at Vegas Blvd on Sisson Ave. A few blocks down the road, you can check out a drum and bass night at Sisson Tavern on the same night. On Fridays, if Dubstep is your thing, Vegas Blvd has what is probably the southern New England's best Dubstep night, Dubbage. On saturdays, you're down to only the last week of every month, also at Vegas Blvd. for Chicken Fried Soul, a House music night brought to you by the Muck Crew... One of New Englands longest running crews.

I'd also like to add... Hartford is one of the happening-ist places in New England right now, and Providence a close second.
    Totally disagree. Rhode Island is now, and has been blowing away hartford for years. Hartford was definitely king for a bit, but those times are long gone. Ever since the areas home to underground, the Muni, shutdown, it hasn't been the same. It's definitely getting better, but RI is where it's at. Just as much stuff, but better stuff going on.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the suggestions you guys! I recognize that house music and controllerism alike have a presence in Connecticut. Hau5project will create another localized community, like newraveorder, for controllerists & DJ's in CT to get together and share music, techniques, and their love for the game. House fans and clubbers will also have a new place to go, where the flavor is refreshingly different from what they may be used to. Hau5project has the flexibility as an entity not limited to a specific venue or financial agenda that can help bring the focus back to the music.

Quote Originally Posted by djunbound View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions you guys! I recognize that house music and controllerism alike have a presence in Connecticut. Hau5project will create another localized community, like newraveorder, for controllerists & DJ's in CT to get together and share music, techniques, and their love for the game. House fans and clubbers will also have a new place to go, where the flavor is refreshingly different from what they may be used to. Hau5project has the flexibility as an entity not limited to a specific venue or financial agenda that can help bring the focus back to the music.
    Your enthusiasm is good, but slow it down, and start out trying to get gigs at things that are already going on. Trust me. I've been in and out of the Hartford area doing events on and off over the past 15 years. I'm not saying this makes me an expert, but I do have a good feel for it. Get involved with the established people in the area. Gain their support and the support of THEIR followers also. Trust me... the Hartford area doesn't hold the population to just start something up without getting to know the locals. You used to be able to do that type of thing, but everyone has become so split up now, it's more or less impossible to do something here without having a good VERY healthy core of people backing you. There is too many options between NY, Boston, and Providence just a quick drive away for many of the people a short drive from Hartford.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast