Mapping multiple controllers to multiple instruments
    Tech Mentor

Default Mapping multiple controllers to multiple instruments

Hey guys!
    I'm have an MPD32 and an M-Audio Keystudio, and i want to map the MPD pads to a drum rack, and the Keyboard to a VST, how do i do that? I havent been able to find anything about it via google either, so any help is awesome!

This should probably be in Music Production not general, but I'll go ahead and give the obligatory first response:

What software? I assume Ableton? Ableton doesn't really attach controllers to things the way you're thinking. But to get what you want to happen, you open up the IO panel and select midi channels that match the controllers you want to use for the inputs.

That's the easiest way other than to just not worry about it…unless you're actually playing both at the same time, which means you kind of have to do it that way.

Tech Mentor

Sorry about that! was in a hurry....yeah, ableton, and i'll try that out! thanks

Tech Wizard

You can also select which midi device to listen to for a given track. So create a track with your drum rack and another with your vst. Then in the "midi from" drop down, select the mpd for the drum rack track, and the keystation for the vst track.