Have a guitar I want to learn to play
    Tech Guru

Default Have a guitar I want to learn to play

I have an electric guitar that I want to learn to play, also an amp, cables and tuner, so I am pretty set from an equipment standpoint. I know some people on here play guitar (RSDJM specifically), and wanted to know what the best way to start learning is. Before you finish composing the sarcastic remarks to that stupidly simple question let me clarify, as far as I know, I could take the common tabs approach and learn to read tabs and start practicing songs, or I could take on a more classical approach that would involve me learning music notes, key, etc. Either way I am pretty clueless beyond that (in fact I am pretty clueless before that ), so if anyone has any website recommendations that would be great (I feel like Lumberg, yeaaaaaa).

p.s. I wanted to add that I am leaning towards the classical side, because I would like to learn other instruments besides guitar, and feel it would be more helpful this way, and also because I feel it might be somewhat helpful for djing, although I feel that a mix of the 2 might be the way to go.
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 02-25-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: longerer

I've played guitar for 5 years. And that's what got me into wanting to make music in general. Not that you care. But I started by playing tabs mostly. I also borrowed guitar books from the library (!!!). Some of these books also taught how to read music, music theory, etc. I never took any lessons.

But the most important thing I walked away with was a better understanding of music, staying in time, etc. I took what I learned with the guitar and use it now when I make all sorts of music.

The best way to learn is practicing, honestly.

Also, learn your notes, scales, time signatures, etc. Even though you won't use it all of the time, it makes you a better musician
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

I dont play guitar so i wont even pretend and offer you advice on how to get started.

But when you do get going you should check out NI's Guitar Rig for your fx when you get to the stage you want to add fx to your playing.

If you really want to do yourself a favour, buy yourself a metronome and use it every time you practice!! Use it when doing simple warm up exercises [which you should always do before playing - reduces risk of muscle damage in your fingers and builds up strength and dexterity] and when practicing scales.

A good method for learning note positions on the fretboard is to choose a note, 'A' for example, set your metronome to a comfortable bpm, eg. 60bpm and finger the note 'A' along on string at a time as every beat lands. Do this for a few weeks and you will know where every note is.

Knowing note positions will help immensly when you're learning scales and the theory behind them. Start out with the C Major scale, it is the least complicated as there are no sharps or flats in it.
    Also learn your pentatonic scale, it is the basis of nearly all rock music. Look both these up on the net, there is slews of websites that will show you how to play these and more [minor, diminished, etc.etc] - Just wait until you read about modal scales, they will fuck with your head!

Don't dismiss learning to play songs from tab though, practicing songs you like playing will help a lot with your instinctual music knowledge. It will give you ideas for improvising when playing, gives you a repetoire to play from when someone shouts 'play us a tune!' at the tail end of a house party, and it will keep you interested in the guitar when playing those goddam scales is unbearably boring!
    Last edited by kidfromkibbly; 02-25-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

ya my mate has some synth device he plugs into the end of his and it all gets pumped thru reason(i think its reason). that makes some trippy shit
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Tech Wizard

This just seems appropriate:
    DVS setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DPDJ-101, Numark DXM06, Novation Dicer, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 8DJ
    Controller setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DN-SC2000, Denon DN120X, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 2DJ,