DDJ-S1, your opinion?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DDJ-S1, your opinion?

Hey there,

As mentioned in the title, I am searching your opinion for this midi-controller.
    Is there anyone of you on this forum who has used it?
    Most videos on youtube is promos..
    Have a guy selling it for a bargain compared to that I thought of buying cdjs.

What appeals to me is the slip mode and the hot cues which only occurs on cdj 1000. The price is significantly less than a cdj 400 set (30% cheaper) in the used market. And there are more features, but with the simple layout.

Heard some people totally crush the quality of the soundcard, but I wonder, was that only the T1?

Had the S4 before and I liked it, but I am more into the traditional mixing and hence I bought a macbook pro 13'' mainly for use with controllers the S1 at this price seems quite legit.

Price is 700 Euro.

Tech Guru

Im an itch fan and took a strong look at the S1. It's gotten great user reviews on the serato forum and so did the soundcard. I ended up with cdj 400's and also sold my S4 for a more traditional set up. I've seen the S1 in action and it looked and sounded great. It would be my first choice for a controller right now if I wanted a traditional work flow.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

I think it makes sense to wait until BPM to see Pioneer's new controller before you buy the S1. It's only a month away.

Thanks for your answer haze324,

yea, I also read seratoforum and from whats said there it seems quite ok, least better than the t1.

Although I never used itch before, only traktor and cdjs, I think there will not be such a hassle learning to handle it, or what do you think?

Although I was thinking bout the effect section, do you have to tap the beat in or can u put it to auto for the effects? like on the djm-400?

love it in principle

but like all all-in-one controllers it suffers from it size, especially if you plan on playing out in bars and clubs

wish Pioneer would make an X-1 competitor or something similar, i think they'd kill it, especially seeing as they have one of the best jogs in the business in the shape of their CDJ series

but as nem0nic said you're probs better off waiting for BPM

yeah I guess..

30 days of anticipation. Although odds that they bring some meat to table is high.

The DDJ-S1 is massive (although that's not necessarily a bad thing, just depends what you're after), and if the jogs are the same as the T1 then I hate them. I hate them I hate them I hate them. So scratchy and horrible, it feels like you're using a cookie cutter to make a hole in your controller.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I don't think they are the same as the T1.
    Actually most people confirm their a hell lot of difference experience, similar to the jogs of cdj 400 or even better.

The S1 should be smaller than the T1 right? since its only 2 channels..

Tech Guru

Effects are auto or tap.

The work flow of Itch is VERY similar to using two CDJ's and a mixer. Very straight fwd and easy to use. It's what I enjoy most about it. The effects are post fader and although there is not alot to choose from they provide very similar effects to what you get on a 400.

Yes it's a little big to squeeze into a booth that already has gear. However for a mobile DJ or a lounge/bar that requires you to bring your gear it's perfect sized because it looks and feels like "real" gear vs. a controller (smaller sized).

If the price is right I would get it. Regardless of what comes out - two CDJ's and mixer is not going out of style anytime soon.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I know, but it's quite simple, have S1 when I have to bring my own gear and at places which have cdjs installed I just bring cds.

All right now is depending on what price I can get on what gear and conditions of gear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast