Thoughts on gear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Thoughts on gear

I've been seeing a lot of hate around the forum from people about beginners thinking expensive gear is better. I Totally understand where you're coming from but sometimes you get what you pay for, am I right?
    If you have the resources start with something a little nicer then a Numark DJ2GO.
    Thoughts?

I'm not really seeing the "Hate" your talking about, but when new djs come asking for gear recommendations, we steer them towards $150-$300 "starter" controllers so they don't get that "WTF was i thinking" feeling when some of them realize djing isn't their thing after dropping a $2000 on a shiny new cdj1000/djm800 setup

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    I'm not really seeing the "Hate" your talking about, but when new djs come asking for gear recommendations, we steer them towards $150-$300 "starter" controllers so they don't get that "WTF was i thinking" feeling when some of them realize djing isn't their thing after dropping a $2000 on a shiny new cdj1000/djm800 setup
    I am obviously reading to much in to this :P I see your point though

Tech Wizard

yea as a beginner it's so tempting to want to get cdjs and fit in with the crowd or get the best spankin controller out there.
    it took me a while to convince myself to not get the s4 even though my parents were agreeing to pick up the tab for it but luck the twitch came around and it was 500 & plus i got a 100$ coupon making the total around 425$ (plus tax) so right now i wouldn't feel guility if down the road if i don't end up getting any dj gigs because 400$ isn't too much of big investment. the reason i think noobs want to buy expensive gear is because they want to fit in and/or feel confident that other peeps are gonna take them & their set-up seriously.
    | 13" Macbook Pro | Novation Twitch | Kontrol X1 | Bose QuietComfort 15 Headphones | Traktor Pro 2 | Serato Itch |

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleG View Post
    the reason i think noobs want to buy expensive gear is because they want to fit in and/or feel confident that other peeps are gonna take them & their set-up seriously.
    Personally, I've wanted more buttons, knobs, and faders! :P
    I've always looked at fancier and more expensive equipment with great envy, and was always very jealous of people who had something I wanted dearly. But yes! I didn't buy my APC40 (which I bought for around the equivalent of $500. -_-) until I felt like I was ready for it. Starting out small with the Launchpad and an LPD8 came a looooong way.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DJ2GO and Xsession Pro and your set

>Haters gonna hate
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Quote Originally Posted by ranzerox View Post
    >Haters gonna hate

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzerox View Post
    DJ2GO and X-Session Pro and you're set.
    Fixed. <3

I think the "hate" you're talking about is aimed more at the people that already have cheap gear, haven't spent enough time with it to really know what they're doing, but want to get into more expensive and more complex stuff anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    I think the "hate" you're talking about is aimed more at the people that already have cheap gear, haven't spent enough time with it to really know what they're doing, but want to get into more expensive and more complex stuff anyways.
    I'm with you on that. Just like any hobby, you should always start small and progress slowly. The only way something comes naturally is through practice, although I feel like we're beating that phrase to death here. Reminds me of shuffling! :P

If you're into what you're doing and you know that you've outgrown your gear, then you should also know you want to buy next.

So asking an internet forum a general 'what should I buy' question quite often means that you're not really ready to progress, hence the 'hate'. If you're asking the question then you haven't done your homework.

As for starting off, I'd usually recommend a cheap and limited option, in case you realise that you actually hate your new hobby.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast