Insane idea

Thread: Insane idea

Tech Mentor

Default Insane idea

THIS HAS BEEN SPACED FOR EASIER READING: Thank you in advance, I know I can be difficult but I appreciate your thoughtful inputs:
    So I need help.
    Backround: Setup: Laptop (HP Envy 14 Beats EDITION) [w/traktor scratch pro 2] Audio4DJ A Maschine as a midi controller for effects bank 3 and hotcues X1 (stock maping) Numark X6 2 channel mixer

Want to change setup. Why: I feel trapped. Something about the setup feels uncreative. I know it’s a nice setup but it just feels not right (although I am thankful for what I have) + I want to use the decks c and d (maybe sample decks and loop recorder).

What can I do: Move on...

buy a VCI 100 Arcade from a guy in Australia (im going to at some point next week)

Plan: sell my x1 and mixer so I could use the money to help pay for the VCI and Have the VCI next to my Maschine.
    At first when designing the mapping for the Maschine i wanted it to do most of the functions that VCI need to be in shift to do.

For EX
    sample decks C and D Track decks C and D loop recorder hotcues 5-8 Faders for C and D and more..

But again it felt like I was going to use shift a lot and it was strange.
    I noticed, I only need to sell my mixer which means i could use my x1 to control decks c and D for either (samples or tracks) and use the Maschine to control volume faders hot cues and effects… Is this over load? Should I stick to just Maschine and VCI and sell the x1 and use that for a crane stand or go to better speakers or other stuff..(LOL I know I want a lot but who doesn’t).....

Or

Is there some magical controller that I should use next to the VCI that has faders and will be better (did kinda think of the korg nano kontrol 2...) IDK.. (don’t like the s4)

PS I feel like if I sell the maschine or return it (its new edu version return might be easier) i will loose the ability to produce..... Should I let go and return it and when I “master” DJing then go to production..
    IDK please help THANK YOU SOOO MUCH

Tech Mentor

PLease help ( i know i always post help after its so it gets viewed i know that selfish heheh)

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

skip the nanos grab a uc33

Tech Mentor

thanks for responding padi but thats it thats all ur input.... lol and idk about it its to big idk w.e.

Tech Guru

i think it's all overkill.

You don't need more gear or a magical combination. It doesn't exist.
    Use what you have.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

I agree and disagree.... I think i dont like my mixer and i dont feel at home with it even though ive had it for a long long time so... Im just going to sell that and the x1 and ge tthe vci and have my machine and see where that goes and not spend on anything necessary but i still would like more input....

Tech Mentor

I have a nanoKontrol (version 1) and I use it with a Novation Launchpad (for all the hotcues for 4 decks, or 2+2deck setups)

I don't even have a mixer - the V1 nano has 9 faders/knobs, so I have 3 for FX, 2 for A/B level, 2 for A/B pitch (or C/D level) and the ninth for master gain, and the 9th knob is my xfade.

I have no gear and I'm making some progress.

When you feel like your gear is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

[EDIT]that is so going in my sig [/EDIT]
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LmnLm3 View Post
    I have a nanoKontrol (version 1) and I use it with a Novation Launchpad (for all the hotcues for 4 decks, or 2+2deck setups)

I don't even have a mixer - the V1 nano has 9 faders/knobs, so I have 3 for FX, 2 for A/B level, 2 for A/B pitch (or C/D level) and the ninth for master gain, and the 9th knob is my xfade.

I have no gear and I'm making some progress.

When you feel like your gear is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

[EDIT]that is so going in my sig [/EDIT]
    WOW TRUE WORDS TO LIVE BUY THANKYOU!!! and i already made the transaction on the vci but u know what for 2 weeks or 3 im going to use my friends lpd8 in traktor with a mouse and see what i can do maybe it will help me become more creative like when all i had was my room mates mac and his virtual dj

Tech Mentor

As long as you have something more than a mouse - I still feel that way about creativity, but sometimes you just can't be a classical composer without at least access to paper and pen, and you can't improve your driving skills without a car.

Although... just listening to melodies in my head helps me when I grab a ukulele, and shuffling my feet around the house helps me come up with phrasings for DJing.... so who knows!

It's what you make of it - do your thang with the LPD - lot's of folks love them. I did a thread on how to mod the pads to make them more sensitive (I used an MPK mini, same thing) if you're interested. [EDIT]just saw that it doesn't belong to you - ask first! lol[/edit]
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Why do you use the Machine only to control Effects Unit 3? There are many mappings out there that do a whole lot more. Check out www.Traktorbible.com. The Machine can be a mighty controller, especially, if you map it for what you really want or need.

I am also working on a mapping for the Machine to coincide with my S4. At the moment, I have the DJTT Instant Gratification and Deckalized mappings set up for decks A and B (except a problem not knowing what the combo effects 2-5 are supposed to be, because TP2s effects are placed differently in the software). I am not too keen on the deckalized mapping though. I feel it is missing something on the Machine. It works as it should, but still, something is missing.

I also have a three knob sets at the moment (with the possibility for a lot more!!!).

1. a set of 4 super knobs for decks A and B for transitions (like armyofme's sweep). At the moment only two knobs are set up with super effects. More coming.
    2. two sets of knobs to control the volume and filters of the sample decks.

I am working on a button page for a better transport system to load songs and samples faster (using the 2 normal deck and 2 sample deck layout). Although the browse mode with the S4 is quite good, I think it could be better for "sets". I want to save having to go into the browser at all or turn the knob for each song/ sample.

I also have a "beat gridding" mapping, so I don't need to touch a mouse to beat grid songs. A true DJ prep workflow with the Machine and S4!

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.