Why use software to produce? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

**wow, don't be so quick to judge. I've been producing music in my project-studio for quiet some time, even mastering and cutting them to vinyl, and i can tell you they both have their merits. And the sound of a well-kept vintage minimoog, oberheim, korg or roland are really something special which you cannot reach easily or even never with software.**

Sound quality wise when it comes to cutting vinyl it really doesn't compare you loose a whole lot . As far as the synths you can get a number of vsti's that will sound just as good better or good enough I like having synths that sound exactly the same every day and don't sound better when it's less humid or what ever affects their sound on a day to day basis .

**But even more important: workflow. Using a good hardware sequencer like the mighty yamaha RM1x or RS7000, or an akai MPC with some good hardware synths with direct control really gives very different results and instant acces than compared to using software.**

If you are still using the MPC and RM1x but have Ableton as well you are using ableton completely wrong . A couple controllers laid out well with Ableton will give you jast as instant of acces .

**you can buy an fully expanded Yamaha RS7000 for little money these days, add a microkorg, or a nord micromodular, or a moog little phatty, or a dave smith mopho,**

Or get a new computer and do more than just produce music on it .

As far as minimal sounding boring sorry it's not Ableton or the DA converters it's the producers plain and simple .

lolz
    this thread sounds like a bunch of turntablists hating on a bunch of controllerists. except way more justified
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    you are using ableton completely wrong
    hahahahaha

You know I was thinking the same thing. Axiom + Ableton feels like I'm using a workstation keyboard. And I can even *gasp* record my analogue synths easily?

Trust me you're not the first producer(?) to try to tell everyone that soft synths suck and can't produce a warm sound or whatever.

Heck, everyone trashed the Access Virus for a while because it wasn't really Analogue, same with the Juno series! But now they are staples of the industry.

Ultimately using only software is a GREAT solution for a user who is curious but may not have the money to invest in setting up an hardware studio. Everyone will eventually end up picking up a synth or two if they're continued interest in production stays.

But what do I know...
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Obviously, Monika, not all that much. Your intellect is directly proportional to how much you agree with the other side

(damn, how many people thought I was gonna make a sexist remark?)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

haha, girls can't write musics! I have my boyfriend write it for me.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by RSDJMoniker View Post
    As long as he does it all on hardware and masters to a cassette deck that's cool

Quote Originally Posted by RSDJMoniker View Post
    I knew it ! she finally admited it

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    [..]
    (damn, how many people thought I was gonna make a sexist remark?)

ME!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

lol what a hilarious thread,

Im thinking there were a few language barriers going on here, the posters discussion was not very consistent.

Im thinking he was trying to encourage more discussion about anlalogue gear, but the way in which he phrased his first post kind of made it sound more like an attack on digital.

But seriosly, Ableton has poor workflow ? ermm.....

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    [..]
    Im thinking there were a few language barriers going on here, the posters discussion was not very consistent.

Im thinking he was trying to encourage more discussion about anlalogue gear, [..]

Hear hear!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast