Why use software to produce?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Why use software to produce?

why use software? by some nice analog and digital hardware synths and drumcomputers, a good hardware sequencer, a nice nakamichi tapedeck, and start hammering out those tracks!

*twitch*
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

are you serious ?
    DJ rig : MacBookPro 13"/2.26 (10.6.4) + Echo Audiofire 2 + VCI-100 SE (3.5.1 tsi) + Traktor Pro (1.2.6)
    If you want to know more about my music : www.myspace.com/ooneymusic

Quote Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
    why use software? by some nice analog and digital hardware synths and drumcomputers, a good hardware sequencer, a nice nakamichi tapedeck, and start hammering out those tracks!
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha .

Tech Mentor

For anybody starting and has a mac, I think garageband is perfect. Pretty much any DAW is great, in a way.
    Thank Ya!!!

Hey no one laugh at this !

I have a Microkorg and I love it to death. Haha actually I really like it though, hardware synth sometimes pwns software synth only because I still have trouble trusting computers for everything... but that's all changing...

And sometimes it's nice to be able to jam something out without turning on a computer. Just me I guess...
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

For alot of the same reasons we dont mix on vinyl... theres a hell of alot more you can do in the digital world you couldnt hope to do on analogue equipement.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    For alot of the same reasons we dont mix on vinyl... theres a hell of alot more you can do in the digital world you couldnt hope to do on analogue equipement.
    wow, don't be so quick to judge. I've been producing music in my project-studio for quiet some time, even mastering and cutting them to vinyl, and i can tell you they both have their merits. And the sound of a well-kept vintage minimoog, oberheim, korg or roland are really something special which you cannot reach easily or even never with software.

But even more important: workflow. Using a good hardware sequencer like the mighty yamaha RM1x or RS7000, or an akai MPC with some good hardware synths with direct control really gives very different results and instant acces than compared to using software.

Not to say there isn't room for both, i've been using Cakewalk, Steinberg Nuendo, Reason (been a beta-tester for propellerheads from the days of Rebirth) and now ableton Live, but also the yamaha RM1x sequencer, Cubase on the old Atari ST, i use plugins, digital modulars and synths (especially love my Nord micromodular) but also analogue (just playing the roland juno 6 gives you instant mr.fingers house basslines ...

Anyway, i guess what i am trying is that you also have to look at hardware stuff to produce, don't go right away at the software path. Different horses for different courses. Imho one of the reasons why this entire minimal sound got quiet boring and repetetive is that you can hear all the standard ableton live plugins and presets over and over again, it all comes from the same DA-converter, it's all getting so stale and predictive soundwise.
    Even running your seperate plugins or tracks through different outboard pre-amps, effect-units etc and re-recording them again in software will make your mix sound much better because some "organic" quality is added.

So, don't count out hardware, you can buy an fully expanded Yamaha RS7000 for little money these days, add a microkorg, or a nord micromodular, or a moog little phatty, or a dave smith mopho, and you can make amazing sounding music away from your computer.

just my 2cents

Olaf

Even a RS7000 is a good engine to start to create, You won't get the smashing sound with it un less you 've got a full studio behind, assuming you're a killer programmer to make the box sound loud...

Hi, I'm just wondering what are some of the software that Djs use to produce their tracks with?
    Start to buy Computer Music, read about the DJs/electro producers setups. You'll see that everybody uses different combinations of analog/digital/virtual
    It depends on the budget first then on your workflow.
    For exemple, On the january issue, you've got 2 interviews : Laidback luke wich only uses Fruity loops, a few selected VSTis, samples and a simple audio card. At the opposit, Chris Lake's studio is a good balance between digital/virtual/computer and analog gear. ANd he uses Logic.

Many people here will talk about Ableton... Indeed, its good for musical ideas, loops and so on, I can't use it to finalise songs >reaper, ardour, logic, Cubase - the classic daws, are much more convenient for construction/structure purpose.

So explore the forums, use google and youtube to define precisely what you want to do
    Last edited by slyooney; 02-26-2009 at 04:50 AM.
    DJ rig : MacBookPro 13"/2.26 (10.6.4) + Echo Audiofire 2 + VCI-100 SE (3.5.1 tsi) + Traktor Pro (1.2.6)

And then, you've got to work a lot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast