HOWITZER - Jaded. liquid & minial dnb at its best
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HOWITZER - Jaded. liquid & minial dnb at its best

Something new from the beat lab, my fave dnb of the moment put together in a way that'll make you bounce!

Sea Of Glass (Blu Mar Ten Remix) - MIDDLETON, Tom
    Without You (Seba Remix) - Little Jinder
    Three Dimensions - State Of Mind
    Hell Hath No Fury - Klute
    Mystic Sunset - DJ Marky, S.P.Y.
    Hooked (Survival Remix) - Slider & Expose
    Call To Arms - Skopes
    Spectacle - Cursa
    No Fear - Enei
    Basic Memory - Phace
    Bodydouble (Phace Remix) - Pilotpriest
    Bossa Nouveau - Hybris
    Connections - Cursa
    Not There - Vantage
    Still The One - Blu Mar Ten
    Broken Dreams - Lenzman
    When Our Word Jaded (Seba Remix) - Furi Anga

All comments and critique welcome, I hope you enjoy the mix
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Pon de DL Totally looking forward to this, much of the track list is awesome and I've really been feeling the Minimal D&B lately.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Fantastic stuff Flash, very well done mix sir... listening right now, will give a bit of feedback in a bit
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Tech Mentor

I listened to your mix while eating tater tots and talking to my girlfriend about our labor day picnic plans. Here's my feedback.

- I guess I am pretty OK with "liquid dnb" as a way for techsteppy dnb to evolve, but what I don't care for in "liquid dnb" is the high pitched vocals, strings, super bright shininess. I understand that positive feeling is part of the whole sense of the genre, but within the first 5 or 6 tracks on this mix I heard some modern dnb that didn't seem overtly "liquid" but *was* "intelligent" ... is that the stuff you're referring to as "minimal dnb" ?

- I thought your mixing was quite good, heard a few very minor mistakes like having the bass in on both records at the same time or being slightly off phase in the high end with both records having high and mid end un-eqed. Nothing someone who wasn't an attentively listening DJ would have heard, probably.

- I didn't hear any issues in terms of levels or anything, and a few of your mixes had clear overlap and good tension as a result.

- I liked the mix, but it did seem to peter off a bit for me in terms of.. coherence.. near the end? Maybe that was just me..

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomer View Post
    I listened to your mix while eating tater tots and talking to my girlfriend about our labor day picnic plans. Here's my feedback.

- I guess I am pretty OK with "liquid dnb" as a way for techsteppy dnb to evolve, but what I don't care for in "liquid dnb" is the high pitched vocals, strings, super bright shininess. I understand that positive feeling is part of the whole sense of the genre, but within the first 5 or 6 tracks on this mix I heard some modern dnb that didn't seem overtly "liquid" but *was* "intelligent" ... is that the stuff you're referring to as "minimal dnb" ?

- I thought your mixing was quite good, heard a few very minor mistakes like having the bass in on both records at the same time or being slightly off phase in the high end with both records having high and mid end un-eqed. Nothing someone who wasn't an attentively listening DJ would have heard, probably.

- I didn't hear any issues in terms of levels or anything, and a few of your mixes had clear overlap and good tension as a result.

- I liked the mix, but it did seem to peter off a bit for me in terms of.. coherence.. near the end? Maybe that was just me..

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    Thanks for your feedback man. Its interesting hearing this from someone not deep into their dnb (am I right in saying that?)

Your first point, all of the first 6 tracks are classified as 'liquid', after about 14:30 is where the minimal breaks in. The classifications of dnb blur the lines quite a lot. Minimal dnb isnt really that minimal, but its not dancefloor or liquid. Theres a bit of neuro and techstep in there too. See what I mean? lol. You can break it down in so many ways I tend to use the broadest terms to generate the broadest interest

Your second point; there are a couple of mistakes in there, I know i dropped out of phase slightly after some of the transitions. I think I pulled then back pretty swiftly though.
    At no point were there 2 basslines un EQ'd, of that I am certain. I do take pride in my EQing. I think what is happening here is down to my mixer. I use an ecler, which has a very broad mid range. So killing the bass on the incoming still leaves the lower midrange bass in, same goes for the highs.

What system did you listen to my mix on out of interest?

At the end of the mix I did peter off back into some heavier liquid territory, its intentional, to amplify the peak with the heavy minimal stuff. To bring the listener back down. Did you get that from the mix?

Thanks again for your positive and interesting feedback
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Listening to this right now, so far im really enjoying it. transitions so far, very smooth, no key clashes or anything. I really enjoy our mixes Flash101! =D now i wanna make a new mix!

Edit: as i posted reply, mix got a bit heavier! =D

Flash, this is an excellent mix. I'm trying to bite quite a bit of the selection as we speak. The tom Middleton track in particular I'm having a hard time finding...lemme know where I could get a legal copy please

The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    Flash, this is an excellent mix. I'm trying to bite quite a bit of the selection as we speak. The tom Middleton track in particular I'm having a hard time finding...lemme know where I could get a legal copy please
    Thanks man, much appreciated

You can find a legit version of the track here mate: http://www.junodownload.com/products...ks/1790759-02/

Bet, thanks very much flash

"due to copyright restrictions you cannot buy this product in your country" in red letters no less... thanks for the effort nonetheless flash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast