Just Starting Out What Gear
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just Starting Out What Gear

Hi I am new to the forum and looking for some ideas on a starting setup .I have Traktor Pro 2 running on my windows laptop but no controlller , should I buy mixer and soundcard , or buy a dedicated Traktor controller a s4 or wait for the s2 . I have a ipad2 which I have installed touschOSC and have been playing with a few midi mappingsbut would like something else.

Cheers Neil

welcome to the forums

1st things first, their are a lot of discussions on this topic. I suggest you punch into the search box "starting out" "begginer setup" and roll from there

you wont get too many replies from here as there is a very diverse and broad range of DJ's here each with their own opinion and preferred piece of equipment. (different folks different strokes)

I started with with traktor pro a mouse & keyboard (5 months)
    my next purchase was a numark omni control (1 year)
    My current set up is a kontrol s4 Tp2 (purchased march this year)

Dont rush into any purchase and get to your local shop to have a play with whats available then make an investment based on your personal tastes
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Default Vestax VCi 100 & NI Kontrol x1

I was now thinking of getting a Vestax VCi 100 , NI Kontrol x1 second hand and DJiO to see how I get on and maybe upgrade my laptop before I shell out on a s4 , does anyone use a similar setup.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcm View Post
    I was now thinking of getting a Vestax VCi 100 , NI Kontrol x1 second hand and DJiO to see how I get on and maybe upgrade my laptop before I shell out on a s4 , does anyone use a similar setup.
    TBH, I wouldn't bother with the X1 to start out. The VCI100SE mappings are pretty damned good, and once you feel you've outgrown what that controller can give you then it's worth looking at adding an X1/Midifighter or switching up to an S4 ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Should I go for the mk1 or mk2 is there a massive difference.
    Cheers

no SE mkii... only mki

The SE I think is a better controller that the mkii though you do need a separate soundcard.

But that's no great shakes. An audio 2 + SE is a sweet set up
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Cheers just new to all this is the mk1 SE only available through this website and what are the main differences between mk1 & mk 2 , there is a mk2 on ebay that ends soon that I was maybe going to try for.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcm View Post
    Cheers just new to all this is the mk1 SE only available through this website and what are the main differences between mk1 & mk 2 , there is a mk2 on ebay that ends soon that I was maybe going to try for.
    Mk1 is in an all metal chassis and feels substantial, it can take a few knocks. There's a fair number of aftermarket mappings to Traktor for this unit, and the DJTT site has ungraded firmware to fix the fuckups that Vestax left behind 'em

Mk2 is plastic (which apparently feels flimsy) and contains a soundcard. DJTT mappings & upgraded firmware don't exist (to my knowledge) for this unit

TBH, Mk1 everytime. Checkout the Buy & Sell pages here and you'll probably get a bargain.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

TBH though, i'd probably hold out and take a look at the S2 when it drops.

Worth knowing what the price point for this will be.

Under £400 = decent

EDIT: Just checked. It's £499. Probably not a bad price in fairness
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I was thinking of waiting for the S2 ,not sure what do want to get some gear and crack on with practice , so will see whats out there first. cheers for the help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast