Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    And no one reads yours... bringing perfect balance to all our sigs
    Only sometimes. ;D
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tech Wizard

practice practice practice to the power of 1000... when i was young i used to walk around school visualising matching up two tracks click and tapping fingers.....then when i got a chance on my uncles turntables things slowly began to happedn....
    have you tried matching up tracks around 70 bpm so u can distinctly hear whats going on..... altho matching at 130 bpm is by the easiest it can turn pear shaped very quickly if u aint skilled in BM...

good luck son

Small pitch fader movements. Gentle nudges.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

This is a little off topic but now I figure is a good time to ask. A lot of us on here can beatmatch fine, took a lot of practice.
    But at the same time, the majority of us are Traktor users. So I ask, how do you as software users utilize your beatmatching skills when the bpm and phase meter are right there in the software?
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Hmm, set a cue point at a good kick beat start point. Key in the BPM to whatever the other channel is. Start from the cue. Nudge the jog wheels if your finger was a little bit too early/late when starting the cue. Kind of what many CDJ users are doing. Fixed BPMs makes this all so easy. But beat matching live funk drummers, that's another story.

PS: And with Traktor Auto-sync all this boring setup of beat matching is not needed.
    PSS: If you want to learn *real beat matching* avoiding knowing anything at all about the two BPM values of the tracks, see:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/ellaskins#p/u/6/7zC5W5vfW2o"]ellaskins's Channel - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by ksandvik; 09-05-2011 at 09:28 PM.

when i was taught i was told to match the top hats as opposed to the kicks, simply because doing it live you would normally have the bass from the incoming track cut, thus making it easier, some people ive told disagree with it but it worked for me and got me started. but like everything just keep at it, it will come to you! just take two similar songs you know well and like and dont stop until you can do it without thinking.

edit: good luck!
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

if you want to learn start off with easy stuff first. Take two tracks that are exactly the same. At first keep the bpms the same, leave them in the middle. Play one then the other. You will hear it tremondously off. Trying nudging the wheel to get the tracks in the same point. Try that a couple times until you think you can hear it well enough to try two different song. Then move onto two different songs, same genre same bpm. House 128 to house 128. Try again. Nudge to beat match. Then move onto different bpms. Now you will learn to pull or push the slider and pull or push you jog wheel to speed or slow a track down. Hopefully by now you should be able to hear when you got the track push by jog wheel to the same beat, however you will notice a track come off a lot. You need to decide which track you want to manipulate its bpm. Usually the one coming in, however don't be afraid to change the bpm of the track playing, just do it slowly. Then its just a little push and pull via jog and slider to match bpm. So first get your track down beats in line then, then pull or push the slider to match the bpm. It will take a lot of time. I suggest matching bpm right when you start a new track until you master it. Once you are good you an literally beat match a track in under 30 seconds give or take.

Tech Wizard

Heres what i did:

1) made a simple beat 3 minutes long of a kick on a 4 count 1---2---3---4
    2) made a beat 3 minutes long of a kick w/hi on the half count K-H-K-H-K-H-K

Load up the first beat and practice syncing 2 of the same track
    Load up the first beat and 2nd beat and practice matching again
    using sample 1 and 2, match the first beat to the H (half count) -- if its right it will be a kick then kick+hi then kick etc etc...

After I did that:
    I loaded BIG hypnotize and practiced juggling the first beat back and forth, and then the "hot slicker than your average" with the first beat, and back spinning the other before the "come on"

After that, try some minimalist techno, ( I used Studio 1 ) as minimalist techno is very easy to keep count on while adding other sounds to your mix.
    most all electronic will work though, most have a easy 4 count just make sure to skip the build up of a song if its doing something wonky.

should help ya out...

and fyi, ya stop the sync threads.. nobody cares ... COOL STORY BRO :P

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    This is a little off topic but now I figure is a good time to ask. A lot of us on here can beatmatch fine, took a lot of practice.
    But at the same time, the majority of us are Traktor users. So I ask, how do you as software users utilize your beatmatching skills when the bpm and phase meter are right there in the software?
    Don't ever look at the screen that much, but if I did, my answer would be either go ahead and sync to save time. or........ glance at the numbers so you can more quickly get your pitch faders close before fine tuning, Lately ive been mixing alot of 150bpm music with stuff in the 80 range, so glancing at the numbers and halving them seems to work, Reggie mON

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I got lazy... Plus they can be turned 'off'

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast