I refuse to beatsync! - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    [youtube]NlB_OQ9bZbg[/youtube]
    :eek:
    What is this wizardry? I can beat match, but that is just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    Is it really that unusual? This was that video I used to learn and found it quite useful. It's probably the main reason I don't understand people who won't even bother to try to learn to beatmatch.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    Get a large bag of amphetamine, two crates of records and a set of decks and a mixer. It'll all make sense somewhere around the 36hr mark.

very little makes sense after the 36hr mark.

Tech Mentor

I haven't read everything but this is what helped me, I would play deck A and on an 8th beat start deck B, Listen to deck A w/o listening to deck b for a 4 count. Then listen to Deck B and see if its lagging or too fast. Stop the track and do another check and just keep doing that. THIS IS JUST FOR PRACTICE PURPOSES. It helped me tune my ear in on when a song is faster/slower. Eventually it will become natural and will only take a 16 count and you'll have them pretty spot on. I hope this helps for you like it did for me because I can remember how frustrating learning to beatmatch was. But just keep thinking of the times it worked and how happy you were

Cheers
    Find all my information at website!

Look after each other.

I found two things that help a lot although they are not technically beat matching by ear. Funny thing is that they were right in front of me the whole time. When I get close to getting the tracks matched that little orange bar (phase bar?) under the track info gets smaller/more towards center and kinda of tells me which way I need to move the fader. I can distinctly hear the two tracks coming together as that bar gets smaller. Also the leds on the cue and cup buttons on the X1 get dimmer when I get closer the matching the tracks. Again I know its not beat matching by ear but it's a nice visual to help my ears pick it up.
    Thanks a milli guys. You ALL have been awesome in helping me out.
    Attack it like a savage

15" MBP | TSP2 | Kontrol S4 | 2 Technics 1210 MK2 | Kontrol X1 | XONE XD2-53 | KRK Rokit 5s

Tech Mentor

Grab some vinyl.
    Practice rocking that beat and dropping the 1 on the 1 . If you drop the 1 on the 2 , then it is going to be off and you are going to have to correct that before adjusting the speed.

So now you are dropping the track on the ones and depending on how close in bpm's you already are, it is going to be in sync .. even if it is for a split second. Now you just need to figure out if the record you dropped is behind or ahead. One thing you can do as already posted above is take the pitch all the way down to the bottom (+8) and this will force it to be to fast - see what we did there? You just took the guess work out of finding if it is a ahead or behind , which IMO is the hardest part.

Now bring the fader back up towards center. While you are doing this , rub your finger along the outter platter to slow down the record, this will line the beats back up. Bring the fader up some more, rub platter (if needed). Repeat until the records are in time.

Try looking at it this way. If two cars are side by side, and one is ahead of the other, (say car A on the left) , then Car B (on the right) will have to hammer down to catch up - ie bringing the pitch fader down so the record is ahead of the other. Then bring the fader up (slow down) to the speed of the other record.

The thing is, your ear needs to be trained, and one day it will just "click" .

Comprendes? Hope that helps.

P.S - Do not use any visual aids of any kind.. TRAIN YOUR EARS. Practice. This can't be said enough. Wish I had some vinyl to demonstrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    Too much messing around for my liking. But handy tip for newcomers.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    very little makes sense after the 36hr mark.
    It's the point at which you should double down and commit to imminent psychosis.

Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Guru

iatf

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast