I refuse to beatsync! - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

i know this probably shouldn't turn into a "should I use sync" argument. but just remember that any time you beatmatch by ear instead of hitting that sync button, you're only doing it for fun. it doesn't make you a better DJ.

its also not very creative. just a thought.. why not just use sync, and free up creative time? it annoys me when I see "experienced" DJs beatmatching, being all happy with themselves, ignoring all the other important aspects of a mix. such as not having 2 vocals mixing together, forgetting about the levels as they crossfade (i.e. having a super maxed out sound when the cross fader is in the middle), not knowing when its ok to pile on frequencies from the incoming track without dipping them in the original. and lots of them also spend so long beatmatching that they forget there are lots more way to transition between tracks then mixing in the intro drums with the outro drums

(rant over) sorry

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    This is a little off topic but now I figure is a good time to ask. A lot of us on here can beatmatch fine, took a lot of practice.
    But at the same time, the majority of us are Traktor users. So I ask, how do you as software users utilize your beatmatching skills when the bpm and phase meter are right there in the software?

i have the bpm...tempo and the phase meter turned off

Tech Guru

try to get comfortable with it on turntables, they don't have to be great turntables either. this is just so you learn the basic science of it, what to listen for and how to fix the errors.

when i was starting out a friend told me to match the snares first (or bassdrum, whatever sticks out more to you), once you have the snares roughly on point - switch your hearing to the hi hats, then match the hi hats.

after that the things you have to look out for is the timing of your transitions, so that the structure of your songs mix in and mix out musically. once you become more advanced you can be more free, but it's best to get the basic "factory mix" down first.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamPollard55 View Post
    ignoring all the other important aspects of a mix. such as not having 2 vocals mixing together, forgetting about the levels as they crossfade (i.e. having a super maxed out sound when the cross fader is in the middle), not knowing when its ok to pile on frequencies from the incoming track without dipping them in the original
    That has a lot more to do with not knowing what the hell you're doing than spending time beatmatching.

DjMonstar if you have a mic and skype, i can try to help you out a bit tomorrow.
    Around 3:00pm GMT+1. (or later i don't mind).
    I can try to teach you basics, reply to your questions etc.. i can speak a fluent english so if you want some help, add f0rekilla to skype

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    This is a little off topic but now I figure is a good time to ask. A lot of us on here can beatmatch fine, took a lot of practice.
    But at the same time, the majority of us are Traktor users. So I ask, how do you as software users utilize your beatmatching skills when the bpm and phase meter are right there in the software?
    If the beat grids aren't set precisely then you will have to beatmatch. It doesn't happen that often, but every once in a while I load up a track where the grid is off.

Even with all of this tech you should still trust your ears first and foremost.

OK Here are some tips from me. If you are using your 1200s with timecode then you can check your 1200s pitch faders and make sure they are calibrated/working correctly.

The reason I say this is because I have noticed that the older 1200s that have the click lock @ zero tempo faders tend to be funky. And you can find that the tempo fader doesn't hold true. I have to work around one of my 1200s because of this. (I know I can clean the fader with contact cleaner, I just haven't yet)

Anyways, my point being is to just check the characteristics of your tempo faders. After I figured out what was going on I found beat matching a lot easier.

Second tip. Turn off the actual BPM, but leave the track BPM displayed. You should know the base BPM of the track you are spinning. I BPM'd all of my records. It's just part of the deal. You should know the BPM of every track you play IMO.

If you are spinning a track @ 128 and the next song is 132, you know you are going to pitch down 1/2%. You should have a general idea of where you need to be tempo wise, all you should be doing is fine tuning. That way you aren't wasting a lot of time moving the fader around and trying to find the right tempo.

Hope this helps and keep practicing!

Tech Wizard

I haven't read the whole thread, so if this was posted, I apologize.

Use shitty headphones. There is no need to listen to the bass drum while learning to beatmatch. For me, I always listen to the snare. Then just count it in from there. Maybe pick out a high-hat and use that. I find that snares are quicker on the attack than a bass drum and can be tightened up with the other tune easier.

I think its great that you want to learn to beatmatch, however, I am a little jaded these days.
    newest TSP, late 2009 macbook (2 gigs ram, 2.13 cpu), 2 x technics 1200 mk2, allen & heath xone 32, herculese stealth...guitars, pedals, amps......

i know this probably shouldn't turn into a "should I use sync" argument. but just remember that any time you beatmatch by ear instead of hitting that sync button, you're only doing it for fun. it doesn't make you a better DJ.

its also not very creative. just a thought.. why not just use sync, and free up creative time? it annoys me when I see "experienced" DJs beatmatching, being all happy with themselves, ignoring all the other important aspects of a mix. such as not having 2 vocals mixing together, forgetting about the levels as they crossfade (i.e. having a super maxed out sound when the cross fader is in the middle), not knowing when its ok to pile on frequencies from the incoming track without dipping them in the original. and lots of them also spend so long beatmatching that they forget there are lots more way to transition between tracks then mixing in the intro drums with the outro drums

(rant over) sorry

While I do agree with you totally, I think that being able to beatmatch DOES make you a better DJ.

Maybe not a FAMOUS RICH one....but it will add to your skill set and it will help you when the shit hits the fan.
    It will also allow you to use various mediums and DJing and still understand the concept and will be able to make it work.

Its not what you use but how you use it? And if you use your skills....you being a better DJ than you were before.

Like Timgkelly says...there are even various ways of beatmatching.

I have had to do it using only the snares etc. You will not always have a perfect scenario to DJ in. When it gets tough and you can pull through with the goods....its HUGE KUNDO's!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

its also not very creative. just a thought..
    i agree with this to a point - but it's still a very fundamentally important skill to know. especially if you aspire to scratch or play on vinyl or whatever.

it obviously hugely depends on what genre you plan on playing.. minimal tech house or very mathematically led 4 to the floor music like that - don't even bother. hence richie hawtin in the famous Traktor 3 video tutorial series, coining the infamous paraphrase:

why not just use sync, and free up creative time?
    I believe he was one of the first of the respected industry heroes to accept the use of sync publicly, which really did change the game a lot. but remember, he knows how to beatmatch.. so does pete tong, who syncs channels A and B to a continuous kick loop running on channel C.

So in my humblest of opinions on this topic - try your best to grasp it, otherwise when you get into that DJ competition in the future or get that crucial opening half an hour at 9pm where you need to prove yourself to the promoter, you'll regret not knowing how to use your ears.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast