laptop performance
    Tech Convert

Default laptop performance

I'm currently looking to move from a PC to a Mac but don't exactly have the cash for a brand new one. I was looking to get an older model 2005 to 2008 since I can pick them up usually for around $500. I found ram to up grade it to 4gbs of ram and will most likely end up upgrading the hard drive as well. I'd also update the OS to snow leopard or to Lion if possible. My question is what sort of issues, performance wise, would I be looking at on that sort of Macbook. I'm currently using Traktor pro 2 and I use an APC40.

Should I just continue working my way up to a new pro?

Tech Mentor

For the cost of an older Mac ($500+) with the upgrades ($80 for RAM, $100 for HD, and software $30), you might as well save a bit more for a newer model.

I usually see 2010 Macbook Pro's on Craigslist every week for $800-900. You might even look at the refurbished models on apple.com... they have several models under $1100 that would be perfect for DJ use.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Mentor

I jumped from Mac to Pc and havent had any dramas on my new laptop.

Any reason you want to make the jump?

You could always get a pretty decent laptop for $50o that would handle Traktor well
    First Mix, have a listen you know you want to
    http://soundcloud.com/mattybruce/spr...-daddy-mixtape

Tech Convert

I've had my laptop for about 5 years now. It's getting old, and I really want to start using Pro Logic to produce.

For that budget an earlier Macbook Pro or Blackbook. Mine 9n a Blackbook 4GB ram and running like a boss. When I get a magic trackpad I'll upgrade to Lion-O.

Got mine 2008 for $580 and still running like a boss.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Convert

Are you running Traktor pro 2 on it? And how's the CPU usage on it? Ever have any lag when DJing and trying to analyze a track at the same time?