Anyone had problems using Traktor at a club?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone had problems using Traktor at a club?

I started dj'ing 8 months ago and have been fortunate enough to progress to the point where I'm now making a living doing it full time. So far being a Traktor user hasn't created any issues with any venues or djs. Usually I just hook up an output to a free channel in the house mixer and I'm good to go. I will say that I've only played at small clubs or lounges so far though.

My concern is this: assuming I continue to move up and eventually get bigger club gigs with multiple djs in one night...will being a Traktor user cause any problems? Cany anyone relate any experiences they've had in this type of setting?

I've been pretty concerned about this, even to the point of purchasing Serato Scratch Live, but after using Traktor for a while Serato seems to be a major step backward. I'll learn how to use it if I have to, but I'd rather re-sell it and get TSPro.
    Serato Scratch Live 2.3 | SL3

Traktor Pro 2 | Audio 6, Audio 2

A&H Xone 02 | Technics SL-1200MK2

I don't have any experience myself but from what I do know you would be advised by most people to stick with Traktor 3.3 (or even upgrade it to 3.4) and leave thoughts of switching to Traktor Pro until it has been patched to a more reliable release. In saying this though, I've been using Pro at home now since it's release, and it has never crashed on me.

Keeping the house CDJ, turntable, CD player etc. nearby with a mix cd loaded into it already so that it can be brought into action as quickly as possible if anyting goes wrong with your primary set up is also advisable.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Thanks for your reply, but I was speaking more in logistical terms.

I'm concerned of problems like having no way to hook up Traktor in between two Serato djs, etc.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you are spinning on Traktor Scratch then it will be difficult as you will need to either have a large DJ mixer, or your own mixer separate from theirs. You can trade out the cables but that becomes a massive headache while someone is spinning.

If you're mixing internally then you only need an open channel on a mixer.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Yeah. I think the thing to do is just to keep my VCI-100 around for these types of situations.

Another thing...when there are multiple djs playing in one night they usually have their sets somewhat planned out. If I'm only on for an hour I can just practice the set on Serato and just hammer it out when it's my turn..

Donīt worry too much about that. You will always find a way to get conected with your setup. As far as I understood you are mixing internally correct? As you mention you just have to hook your self to a free channel. If the mixer only have 2 channels (not too common at big clubs), you will need to talk with the other dj and tell him to let you know when are you free to disconect one of his TTīs. Sometimes this is easier, even with 2 channel mixers because some have a rca input + a phono input for the same channel, then you just connect to the rca and , depending on the mixer you just need to prees a btn or knob and you are ready.

Internally mixing makes it much simpler as you need only one channel. I have seen on many big events djs switching cables, because all of them used diferent interfaces and software, but shared the same mixer using the method mentioned above. Also you might look at the article and video Ean posted about setting up in a club.

Btm line... there always is a way to do it

PD: MAke sure you arrive early so you can take a look at the mixer. The advice of having a mix ready on whatever source you have available as mentioned above is always a good idea that can save your ass!

Ive had alot of club owner & promoters freak out cuz I only use one line in and im not using the traditional CDJ or Serato setup that the house has. Sometimes they make me show up earlier to do a sound check, but once I become a regular they already know whats up and make sure I have enough room for my vci/laptop stand/mb & 1 line in & 1 free electricity input for my power supply
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

the main thing you should look out for is make sure you have high quality cables (1/4 inch or REALLYGOOD RCAs) and a decent audio interface.. I had to learn this for myself the hard way which was not very cool.

but regarding the software, I use traktor 3.2 and have absolutely no problems with it. runs like a champ, sturdy as a sumo wrestler.

Thanks guys. Nice to hear some real world experiences.

I also sometimes fantasize about getting a Xone 4D but I think that might push the whole setup issue over the edge.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    the main thing you should look out for is make sure you have high quality cables (1/4 inch or REALLYGOOD RCAs) and a decent audio interface.. I had to learn this for myself the hard way which was not very cool.

but regarding the software, I use traktor 3.2 and have absolutely no problems with it. runs like a champ, sturdy as a sumo wrestler.
    I use a pair of RCA cables from radio shack, been using them for about a year now, and never had a problem ever. Just carry backups with you in case things go bad.

Hell, I run mine into phono to quarter inch converters from radio shack. *shrug* I think a lot of the cable thing is just myth and legends to help Monster make a lot more money.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast