Comprehensive Tips/Tricks Thread

Default Comprehensive Tips/Tricks Thread

Hey all, I'm just starting out in the DJ world (been practicing mixing for just about three weeks). I've got a good musical background and I think I have a good ear, but there is something that a decent amount of talent can't help: time-honored experience.

So, I thought it would be good for us to come up with a thread where all of the talent and experience here put up some of their favorite tricks of the trade. Whether it's using certain effects together, following up one type of song with another type, your favorite way to introduce a new track, etc. In short, those things that, once you discovered them you said "damn, I wish I had known that earlier."

Tech Mentor

Hello and welcome to the community.
    Check out this link

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3545

Yeah one trick per forum post is good, that way individual tricks get discussed in more detail. Also posts that include different tricks tend to get hijacked and people talk about 1 particular trick in general before the thead dies in the ass - this has been brought up a few times.

I can tell you one I love (If I can explain myself), cut the bass from the predominant song and add some reverb, start increasing it making this huge woooshhh sound while you start mixing in the next song (with bass cuted and well equed) hiding mosty of its sound with the big woosh, at the same time you can eq a little the effected track in order to make more space for the next one... and at the 16th bar turn the reverb off while adding all the bass from the second track. Nice....

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Yeah one trick per forum post is good, that way individual tricks get discussed in more detail. Also posts that include different tricks tend to get hijacked and people talk about 1 particular trick in general before the thead dies in the ass - this has been brought up a few times.

Too late for me

Cool, yeah I can see how having a thread per trick would be better. Feel free to close the thread BentoSan.

Tech Guru

bento a master sticky thread, that is locked but could have links to each individual thread (controlled by a mod of course), would work well, otherwise it will be hard to find the tips individually.

Tech Guru

I just read the forum faq and now am a giant idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    I just read the forum faq and now am a giant idiot.
    lol its all good, that threads only been up a couple days