New to DJ'ing & looking to buy a controller (that I can grow into)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA & Tucson, AZ (the U of A)
    Posts
    15

    Default New to DJ'ing & looking to buy a controller (that I can grow into)

    Hey all,

    Been playing around with a couple DJ programs (traktor & VDJ), but just using my computer to control em to get a feel for it. Looking to buy an entry level controller, but I want to buy something that I can grow into. So far, one of the better entry level controllers seems to be the Numark Mixtrack pro, but seems like the next level up jumps to like $600. Should I just buy the Mixtrack or suck it up and buy a better controller? Suggestions (for a better one)?

    Thanks,
    Sean

  2. #2
    Tech Guru Zaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    860

    Default

    All the advice i can offer is DO NOT RUSH INTO YOUR INVESTMENT

    There are so many different types of controllers out there. So choose what is appropriate from your own research.

    Welcome to the forums

    you are in the right place. lots of reviews on almost everything
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

  3. #3
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    80

    Default

    I grew out of my mixtrack pretty quickly. If you're like me, you'll be crazing a bit more control in no time. You can get controllers with more buttons etc.. for a better price, although some of your own mapping may be required.

  4. #4

    Default

    wait for the S2. (or get the S4, if you can afford it)
    but only spend that much money if DJing is a passion
    (all in one and a very simple to understand layout and matched perfectly with the software)
    but look around read reviews and people opinions and then decide what is best for you.
    to better answer your question, you also need to say your budget and what gear you already have and what spec is your laptop etc
    but as Zaniac said. DO NOT RUSH INTO IT
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

    )))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

  5. #5
    Tech Guru Onimode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaniac View Post
    All the advice i can offer is DO NOT RUSH INTO YOUR INVESTMENT

    There are so many different types of controllers out there. So choose what is appropriate from your own research.
    One of the best pieces of advice a beginner can get. +1!

    Quote Originally Posted by HarryHope
    I grew out of my mixtrack pretty quickly. If you're like me, you'll be crazing a bit more control in no time. You can get controllers with more buttons etc.. for a better price, although some of your own mapping may be required.
    I'd have to agree here. I found that my MixTrack was very limited effects-wise rather quickly. Because I didn't have much money on hand at the time, I just bought a separate controller (Akai's LPD8) to control Traktor's effects.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

  6. #6
    Tech Mentor ranzerox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    304

    Default

    id recomend the Stealth and an LPD 8 if your gonna go full on controllers. but honestly theres tons of options. if your like me youll just keep buying more buttons

    >.> you can never have enough buttons.

    i am not an addict >.>
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

  7. #7
    Tech Guru tyfurious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ranzerox View Post
    id recomend the Stealth and an LPD 8 if your gonna go full on controllers. but honestly theres tons of options. if your like me youll just keep buying more buttons

    >.> you can never have enough buttons.

    i am not an addict >.>
    ^this^ I personally would swap the Lpd8 with a midi fighter pro as time went on. You can probably snipe a Vci-100se too.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

  8. #8
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA & Tucson, AZ (the U of A)
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlaggard View Post
    wait for the S2. (or get the S4, if you can afford it)
    but only spend that much money if DJing is a passion
    (all in one and a very simple to understand layout and matched perfectly with the software)
    but look around read reviews and people opinions and then decide what is best for you.
    to better answer your question, you also need to say your budget and what gear you already have and what spec is your laptop etc
    but as Zaniac said. DO NOT RUSH INTO IT
    I was looking at the S2, but I'm a little scared of dropping $600+ right off the bat. I may end up doing it anyway, though. I'd rather spend 600 from the beginning rather than buy something for 200 and then have to upgrade anyways in a couple months.

    Ideally, I'd like to spend somewhere under 500, but I guess going for the S2 isn't THAT much worse. Or maybe a used S4?

    I'm completely new to this, so I don't have gear . But I have a Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM

  9. #9
    Tech Guru Onimode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seanm500 View Post
    I'm completely new to this, so I don't have gear . But I have a Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM
    I'd give all of my controllers away for a MacBook Pro. Except my APC40, of course. :P

    But buying a used S4 for $600 or less? That's a steal. The S2 looks very capable, though. Four decks might be a bit much for someone who's never handled a controller before.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

  10. #10
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA & Tucson, AZ (the U of A)
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Alright, well even though I really wanna buy something ASAP and start practicing, I guess I can wait a month for the S2. Seems to be the best route so far... or maybe I'll figure something else out between now and then. Also, can the S2 be used with serato? or is there no point since its built to run with traktor.

    thanks for all the input

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •