How can I take myself to the 'next level'?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How can I take myself to the 'next level'?

I've been djing using Traktor for just under a year now.
    Where I'm at now:
    I can 'mix' very well (I know phrases, EQ etcetc) and I can use Delay, Gater & Flanger very well.

I've been finding myself being disappointed with my transitions, as in, most of the time it's just finding a phrase in song A without too much going on, bring in song A with high & low down, and slowly bring mid up OR I layer vocals of song B into song A. I need to 'spice' up my transitions but I don't know how.
    I rarely use loops, I've never used the loop recorder on the S4 as I use 4 decks. I'm going to learn more FX like beatmasher, which will improve my build ups.

Maybe I'm trying to force it? I just want to keep improving as I don't like just mixing between tracks as it's too simple and easy.

Take the 2 parts that work together, loop them and fiddle with fx a little, while bringing in a third track.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Sounds like you need to do the same as me.

You need to sit down and force yourself to use the extra features of your software you arent already accustomed to, and use them in a proper setting.

Pretty hard to drag yourself away from the tried and tested transitions though? Its tough for me, but you might even find yourself enjoying the extra crazyness with loops, samples, etc.

Get creative!
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Mentor

Is there a good way that I can use my X1 with my S4? I may see if I can map the X1 fx panels to fx 3 & 4 but then I'll have to use keyboard shortcuts to assign decks to fx 3&4. Also, I was using the X1 for deck C and D cue points, but I still have to switch to the relative deck on the S4 to press play!

Take one feature that you don't really use and then just abuse the hell out of it and nothing else for a while until you figure out how to make it work. Once you've got that mastered, repeat with one feature at a time.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    Is there a good way that I can use my X1 with my S4? I may see if I can map the X1 fx panels to fx 3 & 4 but then I'll have to use keyboard shortcuts to assign decks to fx 3&4. Also, I was using the X1 for deck C and D cue points, but I still have to switch to the relative deck on the S4 to press play!
    There's mappings out there that use FX banks 3 and 4 on the X1. (check my sig) Also, counting midi, there's three layers on an X1. You shouldn't have to use keyboard shortcuts for anything.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

It also helps it you start experimenting with different music styles, the most common switch is from house to hip-hop. Working with beats that don't match or with significant bpm difference will force you to get creative.

If you have a chance play with other DJs and learn how they do their transitions, it helps a lot!

Track selections, meaning finding music that flows from one part to another.

also harmonic mixing.. that's also huge sink you can dive into.

....i did that recently to up my game.

next comes scratching, or other special techniques.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Padi and photo have good x1 mappings posted on the traktorbible site... I personally use Hetchbends as it feels more natural to me.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast