Syncing Traktor and Ableton. - Page 11
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Diesse View Post
    Thanks for the info!

there's however something I don't get. How could that thing be possible with two MACs (just saw Chris Liebing doing it as well in a video-set). He uses 2 macs, ableton & traktor 3 and they seemed to be perfectly in sync, as he was not only using FX but launching loops.

Why then wouldn't such a thing be possible when working on PCs ? It's basically the same algorythm, isn't it ?
    Who said hes using a midi clock and not manually syncing ?

If you scroll back a bit you will see a video of Deadmau bitching about syncing laptops together its an issue thats not yet resolved. As much as i dont like Deadmau the dude does know his stuff, so if you wont take my word for it, take his word for it Midi clock sux the big one.

Basicly the best and most reliable way of getting these programs working with one another is the old fashioned way of syncing manually - its when there is tempo changes that things get a bit messy, i mentioned a half arsed work around earlier in this thread that will keep the tracks in time better than a midi clock is capable of (but still not perfect).

I wish i could give you guys better answers, but there just isnt fairytale answers.

Tech Wizard

Well, that's what we are currently doing. Using the midi cable, and matching the tempo of both computers. And I have to beatmatch from time to time with my xponent on traktor, but here comes the problem : my friend is using ableton, so there's no way he can beatmatch if things run out of sync or if he wants to launch loops.

Yeah, it's a mess. Thanks for your time you're putting into this, really appreciated

Well, that's what we are currently doing. Using the midi cable, and matching the tempo of both computers. And I have to beatmatch from time to time with my xponent on traktor, but here comes the problem : my friend is using ableton, so there's no way he can beatmatch if things run out of sync or if he wants to launch loops.

Yeah, it's a mess. Thanks for your time you're putting into this, really appreciated
    No problem,

Heres what id do in your situation - route your aduio from one pc to another... easy enough..

Also have a midi cable going from one pc to another - dont use this for midi sync though - what you want to send is a midi message from one of the knobs on your xponent that will be controlling Ableton lives tempo. This same knob needs to control the tempo inside of your mixing program - adjust the range the knob controls so it matches the same range that your dj software controls.

By mapping this knob to both peices of software at once when you turn this knob it will set both Ableton and Traktor to the same BPM. To get the phase sync corrert your friend in ableton can use the two tempo nudge buttons, and you can use pitch bend buttons on the master clock in Traktor. That way the tempo is allways both on both computers and you both have access to nudging your software in time with one another.

If your using Traktor 3, i have been thinking that seeings how it accepts an OSC sync and its possible to get a OSC clock out of Ableton(just no handshake) that it might be possible to have some sort of intermediary program that will handle the handshake and pass on the OSC clock to Trakktor. I am yet to find a software solution yet that does this however - but i bet something is out there and its just a matter of time before I or someone else here comes across it.

My thinking is that Max MSP or some of other audio programming software might be able to handle this - but it remains to be seen. I have scoured the internet and theres no information about doing this, but its atleast a small glimmer of hope

Tech Wizard

Thanks. Will try that thing with the global tempo knob and leave some feedback.

Other than that, I also own traktor Pro, but since the version 3 is more stable (still), I keep using it. I'm not so confident and don't feel sure with the pro for live performance.

Thanks. Will try that thing with the global tempo knob and leave some feedback.

Other than that, I also own traktor Pro, but since the version 3 is more stable (still), I keep using it. I'm not so confident and don't feel sure with the pro for live performance.
    Cool - i wouldnt mind feedback on that appraoch actually

I only figured it out recently and no ones tried it and shot me any feedback on it yet, so id be happy to hear how it works for you.

Also I feel you on the not using Traktor Pro live thing aswell, but sadly such is case with new software Should hopefully be stable in a release or two which would be nice.

Other than that, I also own traktor Pro, but since the version 3 is more stable (still), I keep using it.
    if you want to sync your tracks to the master clock and use the tempo nudge buttons for beatmatching (as bento suggested) then you even have to stay at traktor 3, because as far as i know there is no way doing this without getting audio artefacts (at least i am not able to do this )

at least it's an addressed fix for 1.0.3... as usual we just have to wait

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls
    Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall, Chill Out, Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Morbido View Post
    if you want to sync your tracks to the master clock and use the tempo nudge buttons for beatmatching (as bento suggested) then you even have to stay at traktor 3, because as far as i know there is no way doing this without getting audio artefacts (at least i am not able to do this )

at least it's an addressed fix for 1.0.3... as usual we just have to wait
    Yeah hes right about that, i am just sticking to nudging Ableton in time to Traktor Pro at the moment until that gets fixed.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=81322 This tutorial on syncing Traktor and ableton came up on the NI forums.

Here was my reply:
    "Midi sync is terrible - i suggest to all of our members on the djtechtools.com forums just to manually set the BPM and if they need to do tempo changes to assign one knob to both programs tempo.

Change the tempo range in Ableton to the same tempo range as the same tempo on as Traktor (40bpm to 300bpm). Now when you turn that knob both programs tempo will change in time with one another and be set to the same tempo. The sync will drift a little when changing tempo but not nearly as much as midi syncing does, you can then use Abletons nudge functions to keep it in time with Traktor.

If your doing tempo changes with midi syncing its absolutely terrible and you will trainwreck - im not saying this is the perfect solution but it the best method i have discovered.

Now if we want a truely decent sync between Ableton and Traktor Ni is going to have to implement some work around functionality.

Theres a decent tutorial here that can be used to sync Ableton to a video in Isadora - http://www.digitalfunfair.co.uk/avsync.htm

Im pretty sure a similar technique like this could be used, instead of using a whole track a 4 bar looping message could be sent from Traktor to Ableton which would then interperate this information to form a sync between the two programs. This would take some work on NI's behalf but it would give us a much more solid sync between the two programs than a midi clock allows.

Also if you want to route your audio from Traktor into Ableton id suggest reading this article.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/04/0...-with-ableton/

Hope this helps some peeps out"

Tech Convert

Hi all,

I'm looking for some assistance with routing audio from Traktor Pro into Ableton 7. I've followed the directions on DJTechTools exactly, with no only exception being the use of the M-Audio Xponent. My issue is that although the audio is being routed, I get this horrible distorted sound coming out with a lot of artifacts. I can't figure it out for the life of me. As I do not understand latency configurations very well, I'm thinking it may be related. Also, I did not attempt to use Jack as it may be over my head. Still, I'm fairly computer/audio literate and think the problem could be solved if someone knew the source of the distortion.

Thanks!

Its a latency issue, no one can really help you with this other than yourself - latency changes from system to system.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast