Syncing Traktor and Ableton. - Page 12
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Thanks for the reply. Do I want all my latency options (buffer) to be set to zero? Or could it be caused by inconsistencies in my setup. For example the latency of something being set to a different value than something else. How would you advise me to fix this? Try to lower my latency?

i guess you should try to up your latency buffer a little bit.
    if you have a too big latency buffer then you'll hear the latency (as the audio comes out of the speakers a little bit later), if you bring down your latency buffer too much then the soundcard hasn't got the time to calculate everything (render the sound), so normally you get those audio artefacts when your latency buffer is set too low.

set it to about 10ms, this should to the trick (i'm using this setting and it works fine - but it depends on your soundcard, processing power, operating system, etc., so a little bit of trying is always necessary).

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls
    Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall, Chill Out, Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass

you want the buffer going out of Traktor to match the buffer going into Ableton, start small and slowly build it up.

Tech Convert

Thanks guys! I did what you recommended and it now works perfectly. I'm using Moldover's (I think) template and he has lo-mid-high buss' set. These are in addition to the submaster EQs. Do you know what purpose they serve? Should I use them in conjunction with the submaster EQs? I ask because I'm currently mapping my midi controller and from what I can tell, there is only one set of EQs for both Audio Inputs coming from Traktor. I need two sets of EQs so I can mix.

Your input on what purpose the buss EQs serve and how to best use them, would be really helpful!

UPDATE: Oops. I see it's by Belvario and I've found the docs that were included. N/M
    Last edited by DJ Ing; 03-10-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Tech Convert

Ok, so I've read through the docs and understand the function of Belvario's template. From what I can tell, it's original purpose is somewhat different from what Ean Golden intended for on DJTechTools.

Here's what I perceive to be the problem:

The tutorial has us routing audio from Traktor Decks A and B with digital audio cable into Live with virtual cables 1/2 and 9/10. They go into Audio 1 and Audio 2 respectively of Belvario's template. However, in order for the smart knobs to function properly, you need to have Audio 1 and 2, as well as the Submaster In set to Ext In 1/2.

Any ideas how to untangle this? How do I get the Sumaster In to receive audio from both 1/2 and 9/10? I can only get it to receive one or the other.

Thanks!

Tech Convert

I found some help from a friend and solved the problem myself. In the end, I'll probably by pass the smart knob EQs and go for individualized ones.

The Belvario smartmixer isnt very good, if you wanna try mine send me a msg.

Tech Convert

Hi everyone, first of all thanks for the comments you've all posted, as they've helped me get thus far, however, I still haven't quite got my system working.

I have an ibook g4 running traktor 3 and ableton 7. I want to run traktor through ableton, and sync some loops, etc.

I've got audio working with soundflower, and i have got a midi signal coming into live, only problem is that the tempo fluctuates, i.e. goes faster and slower. It changes about once a second, and, obviously, makes it impossible to use. Has anyone any ideas about how i can make this work, or what i might be doing wrong? I've tried ipMIDI and live didn't respond at all to that, so i think iac is definitely the way forward.

Would so appreciate any thoughts you had.

Rob

Well first of all Midi sync sucks the big one and i wouldnt recommend using it as i have said several times in this thread.

As for the flucuations you are seeing that could be a few different things - It could be that the tempo being sent from Traktor is whats flucuating - i have noticed the tempo flucuates more with some version of Traktor than with other versions. The next version of Pro is promising a fix to this flucuation. It could be the IAC bus - however i doubt this because some people have used this and got a somewhat stable clock (still not perfect though because as i said above - midi sync sucks).

However as soon as you change tempos you are going to lose the sync and it takes ages to catch back up.- your actually best of using the method that i put toether and talked about earlier in this thread where your controlling both of the tempos with one knob. Then use Abletons master tempo bending to nudge the software into time.

This will keep your sync for longer longer than a midi clock will and also give you the ability to make tempo changes - its not a foolproof way of syncing however there just simply isnt any other options availible out there at this stage.

Take my word for this because i have spent countless hours working on this and testing all sorts of different methods. This method i described is the method i am using at the moment and recommend it over any other method thats currently avaiible to us.

You need to realise that midi is a really really old standard with numerous flaws, this is one of its flaws and there just isnt any way to get around it without changing what standard you are using.

Sadly Traktor nor Ableton supports any different standards at this stage so your fresh out of luck.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 03-19-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Tech Convert

Ok, granted, midi clock thing is shit, it's also annoying that it works for some peopl and not for others...otherwise there would not be all these tutorials of people saying how they did it. grrr.

My next thought is, if Traktor can send an osc clock (which, i think, is a bit more reliable - is that fair to say?), how can one convert that to midi, which ableton can then follow. There's a program called occam which does just this, and i was wondering if there's a way of internally routing the osc singal into this, then out to the iac driver.

I feel the problem in my setup is traktor, as ableton has midi synced perfectly to one of those red eye gadgets that sync audio to midi.

Any thoughts? Is syncing these two programs really like drawing blood from a stone?!