Syncing Traktor and Ableton. - Page 14
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Aside from the obvious, how is it that Traktor syncs with Maschine well but not with Ableton?

Check out the video called "SYNCING WITH TRAKTOR" on the Videos menu: http://www.native-instruments.com/ne...ucer/maschine/

By the way, I met the guy in the video on Tuesday. He's one funny dude. Very talented too.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

I would imagine it syncs just as well with Ableton as it does for Traktor - you can get it to sync and the phase will wobble a little bit - the big problem comes in when your changing tempos dramaticly everything goes to crap. It all boils down to the limitations of the midi specification being crap really - though there are also some other reasons why it doesnt work that well.

Just been looking into this - Great writep, Bentosan. Can it be used with Traktor Scratch? Obviously, the midi clock coming from Traktor scratch would be determined from the record that is plaing - is it possible?

Tech Wizard

I djed at a gig with a friend back in november. We were both running traktor 3.4 (mac)on Ethernet. My computer was controling the master tempo and when i moved the pitch with my controler it appeared onto both laptop.

I never did that before and i came at the gig with an ethernet cable in hands and told him: Hey wanna try something?

We had no issues regarding seting everything up since there is a part dedicated to syncing 2 traktors in the pdf. manual.

But T-Pro only support OSC.

Hope that helps,

Are you saying you were using OSC to sync the two traktors in 3.4 ? Also i think you were ment to say that Traktor Pro doesnt support OSC, not "only" supports osc.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Thats why i was going to make a blog post out of it so i dont have to keep repeating myself
    Blog post where? Here? If you busy can you please give us a tip? Or is MIDI syncing just not possible in TSP (unless we use Maschine)?

By mapping this knob to both peices of software at once when you turn this knob it will set both Ableton and Traktor to the same BPM. To get the phase sync corrert your friend in ableton can use the two tempo nudge buttons, and you can use pitch bend buttons on the master clock in Traktor. That way the tempo is allways both on both computers and you both have access to nudging your software in time with one another.
    I think thats what you were looking for.

Basicly i have been saying midi sync sucks and ^^^^^ is a much better way of doing things.

http://djtechtools.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=104

Post #104 (see above URL) is a nice workaround idea but it has it's own problems...

adjust the range the knob controls so it matches the same range that your dj software controls.
    In TSP I assume you mean deck tempo rather than "clock master int".
    Unfortunately this means I must adjust Ableton's range to match
    each new track I load. Even so...

By mapping this knob to both peices of software at once when you turn this knob it will set both Ableton and Traktor to the same BPM.
    The two values do not match even though min & max are the same.
    Sometimes varying by as much as 6bpm.
    Often a fine knob movement will adjust Ableton tempo but not the TSP
    deck tempo. Anybody else have more luck with this?

In my case I am mainly interested in using Ableton to record and automate Traktor tweaks in a looping fashion. For now it will be good enough to just type the bpm into Ableton each time it changes in Traktor. I pity those that are trying to sync audio loops in Ableton.

Your tips re Midi Ox/Yoke have been handy in getting me this far.
    Thanks BentoSan.
    Last edited by SQGL; 05-11-2009 at 07:57 AM.

What you do is midi learn a Tempo in Ableton. Then in the mappings panel you can change the range that the knob will effect the knob inside of Ableton. In this Panel change it so it matches Traktors master tempo range.

Traktors tempo range can go from 40 - 300 BPM so you need to change the range in Ableton to match the tempo range of Traktor. Then when you use something like Midi OX to clone the midi data comming from your Midi controller into different 2 midi pipes, one that Traktor can use as the midi in and one that Ableton can use as the midi in.

Now assign the same knob that you assigned to Abletons tempo knob to the master clock tempo in Traktor.

Now when you turn this tempo knob you get the exact same tempo showing in Traktors master clock tempo section as Abletons master tempo.

Now the last thing left to do is assign the 2 pitch bending buttons inside of Ableton to two buttons on your controller and use these two programs in phase with one another.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 05-19-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Tech Guru

Wouldn't this be sort of annoying if you are playing with large BPM jumps? Just thinking about smart mixing here. Of course if I want to make this BPM jump, I will not be mixing at that point, but I cannot magically reroute my audio when I do not want to use smart mixing for a while. I guess for me routing into Ableton is just not a good fit, since half the time I will need to jump the BPM when I switch to the next track, since I only do electronic music half the time.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music