Syncing Traktor and Ableton. - Page 15
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    Wouldn't this be sort of annoying if you are playing with large BPM jumps?
    No the only limitation is your ability to map your controller to make those tempo changes to both programs at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
    EDIT: i cant find out the source of the fluctuation problem: i think ableton is the most guilty one
    Its the midi standard, its not suitable for syncing without any fluctuation

sry for triple posting... deleted my posts....the theory is wrong
    Last edited by Negotiator; 09-21-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Tech Convert

If you want to run a perfect MIDI clock sync between Traktor (master) and Ableton (slave), you first have to understand that Traktor must NOT be controlled by vinyls, only with INTERNAL master sync, and all tracks have to be processed with BEATGRID, to fix their BPM (pretty the same stuff as Ableton's WARP mode) and all decks have to be SLAVE to the Traktor's master.

Then if you use MidiYoke as 'internal midi patch bay' you are now able to have Traktor and Ableton perfectly in sync (with maybe a bit of tweaking on the MIDI SYNC panel inside Ableton).

That's how Chris Liebing is doing : no more vinyl use.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Its the midi standard, its not suitable for syncing without any fluctuation
    Dont agree.

I played a few livePA with 2 notebooks : first one running Ableton as master, second one as slave, synced with midi clock, and we never got any fluctuation.

In my studio I sometimes use my TR-909 as master, with slaved Ableton, Tb-303, Tr-808 and maq16/3 and never got any fluctuation as well.

Midi clock is solid as far as you know HOW to set it up (esp. with computer, using compensation options ...)

BTW : midi sync timing depends a lot on midi interface ! Some interfaces simple CANT handle midi clock well, some others do.
    Some I have tested :

RME Multiface : both clock in and out are solid
    ScratchAmp v2 : same
    ESI M4U : crap for midi sync
    Last edited by trz303; 12-04-2009 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trz303 View Post
    Dont agree.
    I have done extensive tests with midi sync and it just wobbles too much for my liking. Its nothing to do with latency compensation thats completly different from the fluctuations i am talking about which isnt a latency issue as such, its an issue with the latency constantly changing which its impossible to create any settings that you can play with to combat this.

Not to mention as soon as you change the tempo on the master it takes forever for the slave to catch up no matter how good your setup is. This is personally the biggest killer for me and makes midi sync utterly useless. Midi just isn't a suitable medium for syncing - ideally the clock messages sent would also include the tempo but this isn't the case.

The solution as i have mentioned many times in this thread is to control both programs tempo with a single knob, then use pitch bends on one of the programs to get the phase in sync. Once the phase is in sync like this is stays in sync for a seriously long time and sounds might tighter than midi sync.

A good way to test how tight your sync is to put the same song in both programs and play them together. You will hear phasing issues when your clocks are out of time with one another, when they are perfectly on time it will sound really clear and twice as loud(provided your not clipping your master output). Midi sync fluctuations stick out like a sore thumb when you do this.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 12-04-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Tech Student

Hello All,

New to the forum and sorry to bring this thread back to the front. Pretty new to traktor longtime user of Ableton, just got a new Macbook Pro 2.53ghz and bought traktor pro. I have read through this thread and just wanted to ask if with the lastest version of Traktor 1.2.4 and Ableton 8.1.1 has the Midi sync reliability improved. Or does the software have not much too do with it, its really just that Midi sync in general is junk.

Thanks for the help,

Duard

Tech Convert

Is there a mac osx prog thats equivilent to midi ox????

Edit: I found midipipe!
    But also found that I didn't need to use it!
    Last edited by The angus; 02-24-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duard3000 View Post
    Hello All,

New to the forum and sorry to bring this thread back to the front. Pretty new to traktor longtime user of Ableton, just got a new Macbook Pro 2.53ghz and bought traktor pro. I have read through this thread and just wanted to ask if with the lastest version of Traktor 1.2.4 and Ableton 8.1.1 has the Midi sync reliability improved. Or does the software have not much too do with it, its really just that Midi sync in general is junk.

Thanks for the help,

Duard
    Still unreliable and i still recommend my own work around which is far more reliable than midi sync will ever be

Tech Convert

Thank you bentosan for your remedy for the trainwreck midiclock! Works well for me, I am using an apc 40 with 1knob(endless) mapped to traktor and one to ableton tempo, works really well. If I keep at least one clip going in ableton and one track going in traktor all the time and use faders on apc40 to controll them they will always stay in phase!