Syncing Traktor and Ableton. - Page 16
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    Tech Convert

I am using an apc 40 and found I didn't need to use midipipe or midi ox in order to have traktor and ableton use the same message to control tempo.

I have a method for syncing 2 copies of Traktor via midi over an IP/ethernet connection.

This in theory should also work with a midi in to midi out using 2 audio interfaces one connected to each laptop, this has not been tested as of yet.

This guide assumes you mix using the same tempo at all times.

This guide assumes you are using a Windows OS specifically XP, Vista or 7

This guide assumes you have a network of some sort or a crossover cable to connect the laptops*.

To do this you will need 3 pieces of free software:

Midi Yoke: http://www.midiox.com/

Midiclock: http://midiclock.com/

Ethernetmidi: http://www.linuxsampler.org/ethernetmidi/

The Guide

Software Install.

1. Install Midi Yoke on both Laptops using the provided .msi installer package reboot after the install.

2. Extract the ethernetmidi-0.0.2.zip file contents to C:/Program Files/ then navigate to the directory C:\Program Files\ethernetmidi, using your mouse highlight the EthernetMIDI.exe file, right click and choose Send to  Desktop (create shortcut). Perform this step on both laptops.

3. The next step has 2 possibilities in regards to device the Midiclock software will be running on; it can run on one of the 2 laptops or on a third Laptop or PC, we will run it on one of the 2 laptops.
    a. On the Laptop that will run the Midiclock navigate to C:\Program Files\ and create the directory Midiclock.
    b. Extract the contents of the midiclock.zip file to C:\Program Files\Midiclock\
    c. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Midiclock\ highlight the Midiclock.exe file right click and choose Send to Desktop (create shortcut).

At this point we should have Midi Yoke and Ethernetmidi installed on both laptops, one of the 2 laptops should also have the midiclock software installed. For the rest of this doc let’s refer to Laptop 1 as the laptop with all three pieces of software and the other laptop will be called Laptop 2.

Software on Laptop 1: Midi Yoke | Ethernetmidi | Midiclock
    Software on Laptop 2: Midi Yoke | Ethernetmidi

Software Configurations.

1. Start up midiclock.exe on Laptop 1 using the shortcut we put on the desktop
    a. Set the BPM on midiclock to the desired setting use the up and down arrow keys to fine tune.
    b. Set the midi out ports to Midiyoke 1 and midiyoke 3
    c. Set the Midi in port to Midiyoke 2
    d. Put a check next to the GM Bass Drum Beat to activate this feature.
    e. Once all your settings are exactly as you want then press Crtl+Alt+s to save your settings.
    f. Start midiclock

2. On Laptop 1 start ethernetmidi using the short cut we placed on the desktop
    a. Set Local In From midi to use Midi Yoke: 3
    b. Set Local Out to midi to use Midi Yoke: 2
    c. Set remote host IP address to the IP address of Laptop 2*
    d. Press the Start button to begin Midi Forwarding.

3. On Laptop 2 start Ethernetmidi using the short cut we placed on the desktop
    a. Set Local In From midi to use Midi Yoke: 1
    b. Set Local Out to midi to use Midi Yoke: 2
    c. Set remote host IP address to the IP address of Laptop 1*
    d. Press the Start button to begin Midi Forwarding.

4. On both Laptop 1 and 2 start Traktor
    a. Set both copies of Traktor to use an External Midi source.
    b. In Traktor you should see a solid midi control signal coming in on Laptop 2 and a blinking control signal on Laptop 1 if everything is configured correctly.
    c. Load a track on each copy of Traktor make sure sync is active and play them, when I tested this it took a few seconds initially for the each copy to sync after which they stayed synced with no noticeable wondering etc.

*IP address information:

Here's a quick tip for those of you looking to find your LOCAL (as in within your network) IP address. In Windows, you would simply issue the following command from the command prompt (Start > Run > "cmd" to open the command prompt)

ipconfig

Which would yield something similar to the following results:

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome.net
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

You local IPv4 Address is what we are looking for in the example that address is 192.168.1.100

Use this method to find out the IP address on both Laptops to complete steps 2 and 3 of the “Software Configuration” section of this guide.

IF you do not have a network available you can use a Ethernet crossover cable connected to each laptop, to use this method you will have to configure the Network Interface cards manually on both Laptops. Here is a guide on how to do this http://www.home-network-help.com/crossover.html

Grab all the software and word doc with pictures here: http://www.djuplift.net/music/Tutori...aktorMidiSync/

Edit: d. Put a check next to the GM Bass Drum Beat to activate this feature. this line added above..
    Last edited by djuplift; 04-01-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Additonal info

Quote Originally Posted by The angus View Post
    I am using an apc 40 and found I didn't need to use midipipe or midi ox in order to have traktor and ableton use the same message to control tempo.
    PC users will need to use a midi pipe as windows only allows one program to access a midi controller at one time. Macs allow multiple programs to access the one midi controller at a time and hence do not need this work around.

Glad to hear it works well for you though

So I get home last night and try my method again, I had to make some edits which I noted in the config guide. I did notice a few things I don't like about this:

1. Traktor Pro in its current state does not allow for configuration of the incoming midi signal i.e I can't tell it to specifically listen for the incoming master clock midi signal from a specific device/port or at least I haven't figured this part out if it is indeed configurable.

2. It is not flawless as I stated before for whatever reason it worked perfect for me for over 2 hours the first time I set it up, last night it worked but not as well no idea what was different about my config if anything.

In my opinion it is best to use the crossover cable method to insure 0ms latency a home network should work fine but if yo have other people on the network and using it at the time it can impact your results unless you are on a 1000mb switch using wire with both devices and not using wireless.

I will be updating my guide further once I work out all kinks...

Bento you mention midipipe for PC users above isn't that MAC only? If not where do i get a PC version?

I am questioning at this pint if Laptop 2 in my config is actually getting the incoming midi signal I know its getting the signal form midiyoke/ethernet midi but the solid control signal concerns me...

Quote Originally Posted by djuplift View Post
    Bento you mention midipipe for PC users above isn't that MAC only? If not where do i get a PC version?
    Yes midi pipe is mac only - i was generalizing and not referring to a specific product.

I personally use midi yoke for my midi stuff. Lately though i have not been using midi translations at all in favor for M4L which basically does all the midi translating i need internally.

Oh.. and i still think Traktor should put out a m4l patch that syncs Traktors clock to Abletons master clock - its fully possible. But hey, NI cant even get the maschine to sync with Traktor reliably so i wont be holding my breath.

btw - thanks for your contribution djuplift, its good to hear how other people are setting it up and its great that you are perfectly honest about how well it does work for you. Hope you can work out the kinks because i certainly never had any luck doing any reliable traditional midi syncing.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 04-02-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Hey,

Was just working through your blog post about syncing Ableton with Traktor Bento, am stuck however as for some reason cant install ASIO4ALL on windows 7??

Ammmm i doing something wrong?
    Thanks for your help..

EDIT - Ok, got passed that section... The main reason im doing this is to record a set though if i stuff up, im able to fix it without starting allll over again... Is what im doing the right way to achieve this??
    Last edited by fusion; 07-28-2010 at 05:47 AM.
    Black VCI-100 SE Arcade #220/350 with white buttons / knobs & faders
    Audio 2 DJ
    HD 25-1 II SE

Wouldn't something like this do the trick?

http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't see how long this thread was. I did not read it all, so if this solution has already been presented and/or debunked, then please ignore this post. Thank you, and have a wonderful day!
    Last edited by Rokku; 07-28-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Stoopididy
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

Tech Wizard

Hi,

We tried syncing TP2 with Live8. Traktor (Master) and Live 8 (Slave). But the problem is BPM is constantly changing in Live 8. Say if I have 128 BPM setup in Traktor but Live8, BPM keeps changing between 127~129 average all the time.

Can anybody suggest a workaround or am i not doing it correctly?

Thanks.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516