Syncing Traktor and Ableton. - Page 8
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luv2xra View Post
    vinyl will die in 5 years. Just saying...
    I completely disagree. Even if vinyl production dies there will still be a market for digital vinyl, especially as timecodes and 14-bit midi get more and more precise.

And there are SO many records that will keep trading hands, with music that was never released in a digital formate. And it will always be a collector's piece for nostalgic value and the whatnot.

It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

I'd still buy turntables and vinyl to learn to scratch. Although I started digital, I would still like to learn turntable techniques. I'm quite sure others who started with controllers feel the same way.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

And digital vinyl won't go away, but I think, unlike most other forms of media, the media itself (records) will become dinosaurs a LOT quicker than the units to produce them (turntables)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

vinyl sales have remained steady in the last few years (compared to cd's)...particularly because of collectors ,the indie hipster bands which release songs on records, and of course the hiphop and dance market....Its funny because although DVS systems have hurt vinyl sales, they have helped turntable sales..so......
    Thanks,

Marco
    www.speakerfreaker.com
    downtempo goodness
    -------------------------
    2x Technics SL1200 MK2
    Pioneer DJM 3000
    Apple Macbook(OS/X 10.4)
    Traktor 3.2
    FinalScratch2

May actually see CD's disappear before Vinyl thinking about it!
    Save money on binoculars - Simply move closer to the object you intend to view!

They said tape would die too, it's starting to make a comeback.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I also can see CD's go away before Vinyl to be honest...

@ Tekki: When hip hop people talk about mixTAPES do don't actually mean Cassettes lolz. I made that mistake like 2 months ago when one of my colleagues that is a hip hop promoter started talking about MixTapes... and I was like "Have you guys ever heard about mp3s and cds?!" and he was laughing his ass off!

Tech Wizard djcelebrityt@hotmail.com's Avatar

i own a huge collection of vinly i think there is a market for both if i am just playing out i would use laptop traktor pro if i was going to clash direct head to head i would bring vinly mind you thats because i have not got round too converting all to mp3

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    I also can see CD's go away before Vinyl to be honest...

@ Tekki: When hip hop people talk about mixTAPES do don't actually mean Cassettes lolz. I made that mistake like 2 months ago when one of my colleagues that is a hip hop promoter started talking about MixTapes... and I was like "Have you guys ever heard about mp3s and cds?!" and he was laughing his ass off!
    Dude, I wasn't talking about mixtapes, there actually are enthousiasts of tape. (You really though mixtapes where still tapes? :eek: )

Similar to the fact that vinyl has a warm feeling to them, such is the case with tape I guess.
    More people, though still quite small in number, are getting back on the old cassette. Especially for in car audio systems.

I don't know where I have read it, but it was on a blog entry of either a german based DJ, or an english based dj.
    But he was amazed by the warmth of the tapedeck in the car, and he was thinking of getting one for his car too.
    He wasn't talking about a cheap cassette player, but a high end cassette system.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

Ok I've got to get in on this conversation...

I Dj'd with 2 1200's and a DJM500 for five years before selling the whole lot off (except the mixer...) to go 100% digital. While I loved the fact that, like it was said earlier, you can "hold the music", I will never miss lugging that heavy record box through parties, airports, etc. I held on for so long to vinyl due to the idea that the quality wasn't there and the computers had too much room for messing up. I think that the technology finally passed a threshold where other than sentimental reasons, there is now no other reason to stick to vinyl over digital methods. Here were some of my biggest reasons for never looking back once I left vinyl:

1)Since most people almost all already have a computer, the cost to get into it is vastly lower. By picking up Traktor Pro, a controller, and a soundcard, you're still nowhere NEAR the cost of an all vinyl setup

2)With software like Traktor handling processes that used to take 80% of my time on vinyl (like keeping it all in sync, loading the track, finding the beats) I now have all that time to do more advanced things (like effects or juggling), making the mix far superior.

3) Availability of the music - a record cost between $8-12 last time I checked... with online music stores do I need to say anything else?

I think as more dj's realize these things they will be forced to upgrade to digital rigs to keep from falling behind to dj's that embrace the new tech and face less barriers to creativity... I just don't see vinyl as having any fate other than this.

Just my $0.02

-Dave

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast