different monitors for different mixers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default different monitors for different mixers

should the mixer be taken into account when shopping for monitors? i have a xone 42 and am considering purchasing a pair of yamaha hs50m's... i have heard that they are flat in sound and that some people complain they lack in low end frequencies... i know that mixer eq band ranges differ from manufacturer to manufacturer and im wondering if this should be taken into account when purchasing monitors...?

DJ mixing unlike studio work does not really require any accurate reference monitoring.

but if there is dj mixing in my studio, should it be taken into account?

I use the KRK VXT6's for studio and DJ stuff. They are pretty phat sounding, almost too phat for studio work lol When its time to master or i need to do some audio work i usually don' some flat headphones.. *cough*KNS8400's*cough*

Its pretty hard to find a monitor that sounds decent for studio AND dj'ing applications as you need different things for each one you know? Its better to choose a monitor the the one you will be doing more.

I am keen to pick up some hs50's though lol just sayin..
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jayruesahlum View Post
    should the mixer be taken into account when shopping for monitors?
    No.

Also, I'd bet money that you can't actually hear the difference between mixers as long as they're not clipping to all hell.

(by "hear", I mean double-blind identifications with statistically significant results that show your guesses are better than random)

I'm amazed by my new pairs of HS50m, it's an absolute true sound, buut, i don't recommend it without a subwoofer, you can work without it but it would not be a very pleasant feeling.

thanks so much for the info guys... well i am more so djing now but do very basic production work as well... i think i will have to go to long & mcquade or moog to test a pair out...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
    I'm amazed by my new pairs of HS50m, it's an absolute true sound, buut, i don't recommend it without a subwoofer, you can work without it but it would not be a very pleasant feeling.
    Which sub are you using?

Cheers

i would recommend studio monitors ONLY to people which are producing their own sound AND have the room to place them properly (and make the room less resonant and stuff).

if you don't have this circumstances you will have more fun with an hifi system IMHO

since the "syrincs m3-220 dt" are not built anymore, i would recommend a http://www.thomann.de/de/ld_systems_dave_8_xs.htm which are kinda copys of them ;o)

The HS50m's are great for mixing down mid to high's, and I love the M-audio BX8A D's for analyzing the lows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast