My gig last night - need ideas - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

nah, I don't. Can you point me at a good brand?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    nah, I don't. Can you point me at a good brand?
    Find a clip on ferrite on an old cable lieing around the house and put that on your cable

I was also discussing these types of issues with someone else recently.

It turns out that the USB on the VCI is NOT grounded.

What you say!

Yes, the VCI-100 is not grounded. You could have very possibly had a grounding issue! I'd recommend grounding the VCI-100 to your AC-DC adapter's ground plug on the IEC cable, or on the inhouse mixer.

again, not a guarantee. Anyone else's suggestion is probably just as likely. Just something to keep in mind!
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Next to grounding, could it also be the resonance of the surface on which the laptop and VCI were placed?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by RSDJMoniker View Post
    I was also discussing these types of issues with someone else recently.

It turns out that the USB on the VCI is NOT grounded.

What you say!

Yes, the VCI-100 is not grounded. You could have very possibly had a grounding issue! I'd recommend grounding the VCI-100 to your AC-DC adapter's ground plug on the IEC cable, or on the inhouse mixer.

again, not a guarantee. Anyone else's suggestion is probably just as likely. Just something to keep in mind!
    So the grounding pin on the back is there to ground the unit ? i thought it was there to ground turntables onto :\ wtf

Quote Originally Posted by RSDJMoniker View Post
    AC-DC adapter's ground plug on the IEC cable
    could u explain that? r u talking about something u could ground from on your power strip or something?

i'll probably just ground mine to a mixer; but, at some point, i may not have one to ground to.

Hey Devil, Ive had the same problem in the past, with the traktor screen locking up. Did you still have audio? If yes, the problem is with the electricity in the club you were play & as Moniker mentioned the VCI not being ground could have spiked the laptop. What I have do is your a surge protector/conditioner, and the next this is see how the f@ck we ground the VCI.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

The grounding issue is tricky as the USB standard specifies that the peripheral device shield (or chassis in this case) is not to be connected to the ground.

Connecting the chassis to an ground or separate earth could actually make the problem worse as it will increase the common mode noise.

I'm really not sure why the Vestax engineers included the gnd screw.

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    The grounding issue is tricky as the USB standard specifies that the peripheral device shield (or chassis in this case) is not to be connected to the ground.

Connecting the chassis to an ground or separate earth could actually make the problem worse as it will increase the common mode noise.

I'm really not sure why the Vestax engineers included the gnd screw.
    So it wouldnt be a good idea to hook up the VCI to the GND on the Audio 8, would it?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    So it wouldnt be a good idea to hook up the VCI to the GND on the Audio 8, would it?
    That's what I was thinking...

It might have been a combination of problems. It just doesn't happen in my other gigs, so in my mind it has to be something about the environment. I was running my power strip out of a power conditioner, and then my laptop and my external hard drive were plugged into there. Could this have been an issue? I am not that knowledgeable on the power issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC
    Hey Devil, Ive had the same problem in the past, with the traktor screen locking up. Did you still have audio? If yes, the problem is with the electricity in the club you were play & as Moniker mentioned the VCI not being ground could have spiked the laptop. What I have do is your a surge protector/conditioner, and the next this is see how the f@ck we ground the VCI.
    So, yeah, does anyone know the best way to ground it, then? If I could ground it to the audio8 I think that would be best.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast