Windows 8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

Tech Wizard

Default Windows 8

So with the release of the developers toolkit today was just wondering who else on here had installed it and had the opportunity to play around with it ? Currently waiting for mine to finish installing
    TSP2 | MBP 13" | Fostex PM-05mk2 | Livid Block | Kontrol X1 | Arduinome 64 | Midi-Fighter | CME UF60 | phenom 1090t 4ghz desktop |

inb4 mac comments
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

I think it's a nice OS...

... for a tablet.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

yeah ive just installed it on the netbook its like a more clunky version of ubuntu unity. cant see this taking off except maybe for media serving?
    TSP2 | MBP 13" | Fostex PM-05mk2 | Livid Block | Kontrol X1 | Arduinome 64 | Midi-Fighter | CME UF60 | phenom 1090t 4ghz desktop |

Tech Guru

I am really impressed with the technical achievments in windows 8 and how easy app development is for it. Also adding an app store is a good idea. Every1 saw it coming tho. Big differnce is developers can choose there own licencing agreement.

The security has been tightened up alot and the OS is less system intensive than 7.

All in all its a good step forward. Is it as good as OSX.

Yes and No. There is no doubt microsoft could make an OS as smooth and stable as OSX the difficulty comes in things like supporting old stuff. Business's need that!

So its better that it supports more hardware and runs more apps. Its more secure (not safer than OSX)

My question is, is will the mainstream like it

i have downloaded the iso, my only question is can i install windows 8 onto an external hdd and run the os from there via usb? does anyone know, as i dont really want to install even as an extra partition on my primary C:

thanks in advance
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Convert

We could see the majority of windows DJs eventually switching over to a tablet instead of a laptop with Windows 8.

I know you can currently use a ipad and some android tablets to play with some DJ apps and fx controllers, but we'll soon be able to use the full versions of DJ software on Windows 8 tablets. Right now you can do it on a few windows 7 tablets, but the price/performance isn't quite there yet to make it viable for most people(asus ep121 is close). By the time 8 goes live we'll likely see a new level of Windows tablet price/performance which could be enough to get windows DJs switching over from their laptops.

Will the ipad 3 be able to run OSX in order to compete and give Apple users a complete tablet DJ experience as well? Be interesting to see if they do, or if Apple releases a new tablet running OSX and leaves the ipad 3 on iOS.

Tech Guru

the samsung development tablet they gave away at the windows 8 launch is a quad core 15 with 4 gigs of ram. so pretty tasty machine

i second the question about using a external HD

only, i would like to know how bad of an idea it would be with a USB
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Only some biasis or however u spell it support it, like how only some support virtualization of ports and stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast