Difference between Macbook vs Macbook Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Difference between Macbook vs Macbook Pro

What's the difference?

I've always been a Windows user and now looking to buy a second hand Mac. I've seen one but is a regular Macbook, that is not a Pro.

Is this good enough to use live? It has a 2.4 Core 2 Duo chip and can take up to 8GB RAM. I'll post full specs if need be.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Basically the Macbook (non-Pro) is inferior perfomance wise compared to the macbook Pro.
    If you google it you will find a lot more information than anyone here can tell you.

Also, the Macbook is not available anymore. Unless you buy a second-hand MacBook, you'll have to go with the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro.

ps: Apple's website offers a very comprehensive comparison sheet of their products.
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Check this site. I bought a second hand Mac at the start of this month for this exact same reason. I ended up getting a late 2008 macbook unibody 2.4g processor with 4 gb RAM. can be upgraded to 8gb but for just using with Traktor this isn't needed.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...applespec.html

Picked mine up off ebay for £500.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Aluminum.

Port configurations and similar HW/systems related features. Some of the later day MacBook had very good performance. More than enough for Traktor use.

This is the spec of the one I've been offered and it's one of the gloss white regular Macbooks. And it is for £275-300 (about $450/500 for you US/World users). It would be to use with either Traktor Pro 2 or Itch 2:

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (Note: Memory can be updgraded to 4GB)
    NVIDIA Graphics
    250GB Hard Drive
    8x Double-layer SuperDrive,
    10-hour Battery Life
    Glass Multi-Touch Trackpad
    13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
    Hardware Platform: Mac
    LCD Native Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Cases and Expandability
    Weight: 4.63 pounds

Here it is on Apple site: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP584
    Last edited by Bunford; 09-14-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

That'll run Traktor OK.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Sounds like a really good deal, its still under warranty by the looks of it as its the Dec 2010 model, and pretty much EXACTLY the same spec as my 2010 Alu MBP with the exception of the Firewire and SD card slot.

There IS benefits in the Polycarbonite models too...they are freaking tough, they don't dent :P (ask my poor old one) & the edges don't scratch up when you wear chunky watches either, and I think they look more "fun" & Unique.

Its got way more than enough grunt for DJ'ing and audio if you bump the ram to 8gigs (about £40 from shop4memory or crucial) you'll be set for a good long time!.

If you do buy it, I'd suggest buy an Applecare package from ebay (lots of resellers) and you'll be under warranty for the next 2+ years

P.S. That model is particularly decent as its got the nvidea as opposed to the intel graphics card - you can play games as well (w00t!)

Oh and you can check the warranty status of any mac products on their support website.
    Last edited by deevey; 09-14-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Cheers for that! All super useful.

However, I've just stumbled across something that sounds too good to be true. Have a look here: http://www.producesell.com/index.php..._store=default

It's an i7 2.7GHz Mac with 4GB RAM. For £390 plus £10 for delivery. I thought it sounded too good to be true, so pursued the checkout process to try and spot an obvious scam. To my surprise, it said they only accept payment via PayPal and diverted to what I verified as PayPal's genuine secure payment login page. Therefore, meaning you got PayPal payment protection.

Muddling over whether to try it and see if I get burnt or not....

TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast