turntables not so easy
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default turntables not so easy

so i just switched from a controller to a turntable and started practicing and i'm just realizing this isn't going to be as easy as i thought it would be. while it does takes practice to become good at using a controller, it's just buttons and you dont really need to train yourself how to push a button. with the turntables i have to train my hands to work with the turntable successfully. i feel like its gonna take weeks of practice before i can confidently make a basic mix every time without causing the needle to skip or pushing down too hard and stopping the platter or doing a million other things wrong. anyone have any tips that might make this transition easier?

You've just got to get the feel for it. Practice, practice, practice.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

What turntables are you using?

Also, dont fall into the trap of pretty and cheap slipmats. I used them for a while and they really held me back. I moved to sicmats and never looked back.

Be light with your TT's, the heavier your hands are the harder it is to cue as you'll slow down the platter quite a bit and it might take time to get back up to speed. Thus, putting you out of phase.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Try practicing vinyl control with and without putting the needle on the record, so you can calibrate the amount of pressure you're giving without risking the records. Then play it, go a bit lighter, and adjust.
    Do it with records of different weights. On different sides too, they don't necessarily have the same amount of drag. At 33 and 45 rpm.
    Don't be afraid to touch the record at first, subtlety will come later. don't use your whole arm.
    Spin back the record, do as if you were seeking through the tune backwards and forwards.
    Practice nudging the record while it's playing to see how and where. Tip : maybe don't apply as much pressure the closer you get to the center of the record, this is where you'll want to go really easy.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 09-16-2011 at 05:24 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Also, dont fall into the trap of pretty and cheap slipmats. I used them for a while and they really held me back. I moved to sicmats and never looked back.
    I use wax paper under my slipmats.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Which TTs?
    With your hand on the vinyl stopping the vinyl from spinning, the platter should be able to freely rotate at the normal speed under the slipmat. Change your slipmats or add layers or greaseproof paper or something similar under your slipmats if the platter speed is reduced by holding the vinyl.
    Practice rocking the beat by pulling back the vinyl and releasing it so it sounds the right pitch on release and doesn't speed up or slow down as the platter takes over.
    With 2 copies of the same track set to the same pitch, practice slowing the platter gently with a finger on the edge of the platter, and speeding up the platter by placing a finger on the sticker in the centre of the vinyl and rotating the vinyl to speed it up for a few seconds to get it back in time again. As you do this you should get a feel of how much pressure to use to speed up and slow down the track and how much pitch bending you can get away with, without altering the sound too much.
    Try to use tracks with a some sharp sounds to line up when getting the hang of beat matching. A bass kick is too long to tell whether its in time or not so if I'm mixing breakbeats I'll cue up the snare or rimshot sounds. House and techno beats are easier to beatmatch when learning imo with a pop pop pop beat.
    For actual beatmatching, this guide on riding the pitch is worth a read http://www.clubbing9ine.com/Tutorial...h-bending.html
    The other recent threads on beatmatching have a couple of other techniques in, which you might find helpful tooo

I recently picked up a cheapie SSL box and have been having a play with it - I thought I was quite good with vinyl as I've been using TTs with TSP2 for a while, but Serato has fewer visual cues (which I didn't realise I was using in Traktor) which has made mixing harder.

Just means I need to practice more I guess
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

weeks? HA try several months... :P

Your probably refering to beatmatching and its difficulty. At first, I had no idea how to go about this, but believe me, you will get better, I still have a hard time doing it well, and I've had my tables for several months. To learn anything in the DJ/Production world takes nothing more than the ability to force your way though it. Its hard but if you don't sputter out, you will find yourself at the top.
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I use wax paper under my slipmats.
    I tried this too. Maybe I got bad paper or something but the result wasnt stellar. Nothing beats investing in a proper pair of mats.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    I tried this too. Maybe I got bad paper or something but the result wasnt stellar. Nothing beats investing in a proper pair of mats.
    Or a set of Flying Carpets ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast