DJ in a rock band?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default DJ in a rock band?

Hi guys, im wondering whether this is a feasible idea, of being a dj in a rock band. Its a school group thing which i auditioned for, and it was the closest to any sort of performance stuff. So no worries about gig payments/etc, just wanna have a hell of a time.

If this is feasible, how would one go about integrating/adding to the overall performance of it? which would be btr then just me solo djing at some parts while the band takes over at some other parts.

Loops? Samples? Scratching? (which sadly im not gd at yet) Fade in, fade out of band sets into dj sets and vice versa? Im kind of at a lost. Any creative help would be much appreciated!

My current set-up is just the kontrol s4 running tp2.

Would it be possible to control the main output of the band thru my s4, so that i can add effects via tp2 and then into the main speakers?

This isnt a one off performance fyi, but spread out over the course of the year.

Insights/ideas/thoughts anybody? Thanks guys!
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

Quote Originally Posted by Tornesoul View Post
    Hi guys, im wondering whether this is a feasible idea, of being a dj in a rock band.
    What a fantastic idea
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OMNFGBOQ8w
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

The craze of having a dj in a band died in the 90 to early 2000s didn't it? But, I personally think posthardcore bands sound best with some elctronica thrown in. That's if you wanna be on stage with them. But you'd just run your cables to the sound booth and let the tech handle it. The downside is a lot of venues aren't made to handle electronica soundsbut it shouldn't be an issue. Loops and samples would be the most useful to the band I think.
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Doesnt linkin park have that mr hans guy or something? Of course it can be done!
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Tech Convert

Some groups still do it. You might have heard of this small group from Italy called The Bloody Beetroots haha

Tech Mentor

I know it can be done, just wondering how to go about it. E.g. in wat way could i add to the overall performance?

lethal_pizzle: heh i thought about that, and it does make sense. but ya, the rock band was the only thing that came close to me having a some sort of exposure/performance. so ya.

i think i'll be able to do solo sets here and there. but im wondering about the integration part. thats the area which im lost at.
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    What a fantastic idea
    I know a DJ in a rock band, I'm sending him this

Tech Guru

in reality if you dont know how it could be done why would you attempt it??, its like saying I wanna be a superstar dj, where do I start??. I think you should practise first then going in and blowing it and having them laugh at you
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

My dj rig is set up in the same space that some bands practice so I've messed around with this a few times. Mostly one-shot samples and baby scratches, maybe throwing in a hip hop beat during breakdowns.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

yea linkin park does it, their first album was awesome (hybrid theory) but it went south from their, you should check that one ou.t
    Check out my...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenboarder99
    http://soundcloud.com/glenboarder99
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Then you are golden....like Ean Golden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast