Edirol FA-66 vs Presonus Firebox Which is best?

Default Edirol FA-66 vs Presonus Firebox Which is best?

Edirol FA-66 vs Presonus Firebox

I'm after a firewire sound card to complement my VC-100 SE when it comes, my budget is $400/£200 I think i've narrowed it down to one of these two but could do with some real world experience from you guys and Will these cover all the needs of the new VCI SE?

I'll be using it with a Mac and traktor.
    Last edited by jimmymac; 04-03-2008 at 03:27 PM.

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

Interesting its over my budget new...what makes the ultralight a good choice?

sorry i have minimal knowledge when it comes to soundcards

i have used both and the forbox is more portable and simple but has less features. If you want to also go into production the edirol might be a good choice but for a card to carry around to gigs the firefox is a good one.

Thanks Ean, will either of the sound cards fulfill all the channels needed for the new features of the VCI-100SE in traktor..... ie. 4 decks, monitoring, track preview etc. etc.?

I notice the edirol uses the built OS X Audio drivers (no third party drivers needed) which sounds like a good stable feature to have tbh.

The osx drivers work really well. So i would try out the edirol.

Thanks Ean, I ended up with the presonus

Only to discover this uses the Os X drives also, which seem solid as a rock and the build quality is excellent.

Thanks for your info!

hey guys, jsut a little question about the presonus firebox
    is it possible to use the mic inputs as line inputs ? (for example to connect a cd player with a traktor scratch cd)

Default Bumping this hard!

So yeah this is a dead thread but im bumping it for my own personal gains!

I'm picking up the edirol FA-66 AI for 100$ which seems like a great deal for me for a 4 in/out card (who the hell uses optical/digital i/o s?)

so far ive been using a 2 output card for my DJing and i would route the main output to the left channel and with a mono to stereo RCA cable put it into the stereo input of the PA system and the right side is for my monitor cue also converted from mono to stereo (so i can have both ears playing) with an adapter.... now i know that splitting a mono to a stereo splits the power of the signal in half more or less....

That's why im really interested in the FA-66 because now i can have output 1&2 for my main output and output 3&4 for my monitoring..... the question here is:

Let's say i go to a club to mix and they already have a 4 channel pionneer or whatever, could i use each of the 4 outputs ad a mono independent output for each deck for external mixing in the club mixer and just raise the volume more to compensate or would it affect the quality as well?

I hope i didnt overcomplicate this question... i guess the tl;dr version is:

Can i take a single mono output from my soundcard and put it into the stereo input of the mixer with a splitter RCA cable or would that affect negatively too much the sound quality?