Advice for Stylus/Cartridge needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Advice for Stylus/Cartridge needed

This isn't really off topic, but it's not "digital djing" so if this does belong in the off topic forum, please move it.

So I need some advice. I'm going to pick up a cheap pack of tables/mixer and I know it's crap, but it's what I can afford.

Numark TT1610 (x2) and the iM1 mixer. Yeah. That dj in a box nonsense.

Seriously, though, help me out. I'm not paying $300 for it, I'm getting it for like $90 (used from a retailer, one stylus broken)

Will the Groove Tool cartridge/styluses damage my vinyl? Should I replace both? Should I get some M44-7 or such? and then if/when I upgrade tables put those cartridges on the new tables? Or what? Need a clue here!

Or just replace that stylus in the one? (they come in 2 packs so I'd replace both styluses regardless for under $10)

I am feeling the need to get in a groove (pun intended) and this is cheap. Unless you have something to sell for a VERY fair price (PM me if you do!) I'm going with this.

Don't worry, I got an old Technics sl-QD33 for listening to my classical and jazz
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Groove tools are shite, I'd upgrade - unless you're playing 'real' vinyl you don't need to worry too much about cue burn/damage as you can just replace your timecode.

Shure M44-7 are a good way to go (I use them) you can swap them onto your next set of decks, though a new pair and headshell will cost more than the rest of yor setup (and they're reasonably cheap compared to some
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

I did plan on playing some real vinyl, I can't afford a dvs box right now.

I guess I should learn on some really shitty beat up vinyl so I won't cry when it's ruined, and by the time I have ANY sort of skill (if ever) then I'll save up for a proper investment...

I really want to learn proper dj technique with no visual cues I think it will be a better education. (I come from a classical music background )

You say Groove Tools are shite... how shite? Like "keep that away from my mint Sgt Pepper's" or "Keep that away from my 50 cent LP I got from the garage sale" shite?

Thanks for the advice, Ohms - seems not to many chaps here keen on real vinyl setups, though I'm sure the respect is still there, and I'm not joining another forum just for a couple questions about a "maybe" idea like this one, you know?
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

shure m44-7 with MAT electronics stylus.
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by LmnLm3 View Post
    I did plan on playing some real vinyl, I can't afford a dvs box right now.

I guess I should learn on some really shitty beat up vinyl so I won't cry when it's ruined, and by the time I have ANY sort of skill (if ever) then I'll save up for a proper investment...

I really want to learn proper dj technique with no visual cues I think it will be a better education. (I come from a classical music background )

You say Groove Tools are shite... how shite? Like "keep that away from my mint Sgt Pepper's" or "Keep that away from my 50 cent LP I got from the garage sale" shite?

Thanks for the advice, Ohms - seems not to many chaps here keen on real vinyl setups, though I'm sure the respect is still there, and I'm not joining another forum just for a couple questions about a "maybe" idea like this one, you know?
    As in if you really don't care about knackering your records , you could try them - I'm also not sure how 'skip proof' they are (as in when you backcue, they might have a tendency to skip grooves on the vinyl - correctly adjusted M44-7s rarely do this, hence being the scratchers choice)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by TABS View Post
    shure m44-7 with MAT electronics stylus.
    MAT electronics stylus?

never heard of it?

linky?

I just picked up a pair of shure white labels, 83$ each, that's headshell included. Kinda nice seeing as replacement needles are only 25$ a pop. They sould really nice too, deep deep bass.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

I wonder how hard it is to resell shitty gear like that... guess since I don't know anybody personally who DJs (You fine gentlemen aside), $100 is a fair price to try it all out at home...

Would you guys recommend not trying vinyl if these crap decks are my choice at the moment? 1200s are way expensive right now, even st8-80s are running high... And garbage "DJ In a Box" sets run like $300 (which is what I'm looking at, but at $100 it seems like less of a rip off)

Thanks for all the input, fellas, it's much appreciated.

The only DJ I know is a half retired mobile dj who says I can never ever make money unless I play hip-hop with top40, cdj > sex (even though he brings a laptop anyway....for requests... and uses vdjhome instead of itunes...), and told me that high torque is needed because startup has to be fast after you scratch, as in you're supposed to stop the platter with your hand.

So you guys are my only hope!

YouTube
    SoundCloud

If you are looking for good cheap decks, I just picked up a pair of gemini PT-1000s (no hate). From what I had read, these were the last quality deck that gemini made. They look like tech1200s. Lots of torque, really nice, and cheap! I paid 300 for both, a gemini mixer and a stack of records. If you can find them in your area, and want cheap decks, see if you can find these.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

M-44G is my favorite cartridge for playing real vinyl.

If they ever skip, it's because you set them up wrong or you suck at scratching. They sound great. And they hardly seem to wear records at all.

And have fun with your setup…just keep in mind that it might not be worth doing at all…budget turntables don't make a lot of sense because of how effing expensive vinyl is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast