Can most clubs support controllers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can most clubs support controllers?

So I sent a promoter my mix via Facebook and he just offered me a slot at an upcoming show. What I want to know is how important is it to let him know you play on controllers and not tables/cdjs? Is it pretty standard to be able to hook up your soundcard (in my case an Audio 2) to the club system? This will be my first club gig and I just don't know what to expect.

Another thing, he also asked if I have lots of friends to sell tickets to and how many tickets I expected to sell. I don't know very many people because I just moved to a new city at the beginning of September... will my answer impact his decision to book me?

Thanks, Misha
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

to answer your first question. easy audiodj2 hooking up to the clubmixer is easy no worries man. just make sure that you have the right cables. clubmixers mostly have rca ins...

2 question: hm maybe you just tell him, that you´ll spam the your community with the gig an stuff. just let him know, that you take care of your promotion part.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by earl panda View Post
    just let him know, that you take care of your promotion part.
    Speaking as someone who has worked within the club/bar industry for a long time, I can say with 100% confidence that if the promoter expects you to do anything promotion wise, they don't care about how much you do... they care about how many people actually show up due to your promotion. Getting the word out there means nothing if no one buys what your selling.

^ this! ^
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Speaking as someone who has worked within the club/bar industry for a long time, I can say with 100% confidence that if the promoter expects you to do anything promotion wise, they don't care about how much you do... they care about how many people actually show up due to your promotion. Getting the word out there means nothing if no one buys what your selling.
    That is an interesting point and something I actually didn't realize. It makes sense in a way, but that would also mean getting your foot in the club scene door being a start-up and not having a "crowd" to follow you makes it much harder? Sounds like a catch 22.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by scamo View Post
    That is an interesting point and something I actually didn't realize. It makes sense in a way, but that would also mean getting your foot in the club scene door being a start-up and not having a "crowd" to follow you makes it much harder? Sounds like a catch 22.

scamo
    Not a catch 22 at all.
    During raves heydays and it's tail end, I lived in NY. I was a bit of a loner when going out. I never really called up friends to go to the party with. Why? Because I made a TON of friends when I got there. No matter where it was, I knew at least 5 groups of people in the line when I got there (one was always in the front too. heh), and halfway through the night, I'd wouldn't be able to go past 20 people without knowing someone in a party with thousands.
    What does that egotistical rant have to do with anything? It was an unseen opportunity at the time to me. In NY at that time, had my mind been on that, I could have used the friendships and acquaintances I had that stretched from CT to DC to launch what would probably have been a very successful promotional venture and/or DJ career. Granted, I didn't have the smallest fraction of knowledge that I now have almost 20 years later. Also, to be frank, I was a bit of a fuck up at that point in my life, and I had no where near the financial means to fund such ventures. Either way, having LOTS of people who you can get to show up somewhere and buy what ever it is that your selling... that's most of the work. Doesn't have to be done after you want to start something.

"talent" only gets you so far, and honestly... it doesn't matter that much. It doesn't matter if you can shit out audible orgasms for hours on end if no ones there to hear it.
    Last edited by sobi; 09-19-2011 at 02:32 AM.

hehehe...."shit out audible orgasms". Dats a gutwon.

I am still not too sure how to get the crowd following, while first starting. It is the proverbial "Chicken and Egg" scenario.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misha_val View Post
    What I want to know is how important is it to let him know you play on controllers and not tables/cdjs?
    Its not just important it is essential that you advise the manager/promoter/stage crew of what equipment you will be bringing and what equipment you need from their side.

You need to send your spec sheet and tell them things like, needing a channel on the mixer for the soundcard. And whether you need to run the monitor off the mixer or your controller etc as some things cannot be done on the night.

Turning up with a box of surprises is not professional and it can anger people especially the sound engineer that has to move shit about whilst the warm up DJ is on thus pissing the DJ off as well.

If the promoter is gonna get pissy with you using a controller, its better to know now rather than when you turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by scamo View Post
    I am still not too sure how to get the crowd following, while first starting. It is the proverbial "Chicken and Egg" scenario.

scamo
    Then you didn't read my last post thoroughly enough. How good you are, talent, and stage presence mean shit in the beginning. No one cares if no one else is paying attention. Build your base by networking and creating friendships throughout whatever scene it is you are a part of. Forget that DJing is part of the equation at first. Work on the skill of getting people to want to go to a party because you said it was going to be good. Once you have learned that, make sure it's parties that you are playing.

Great advice guys... I Just moved and my goal is to land a weekend spot some where before summer next year. Gives me the motivation to keep on practicing and getting out there to mingle. It seems necessary for this goal.

Sobi, Thanks for the first signature quote lol
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast