Usenet and DJing: Could be used or ...naaaah.

Default Usenet and DJing: Could be used or ...naaaah.

inb4 the universe: yes you could dl illegal music but lets not state the obvious.

Does someone here use it for any DJ need? Does any1 here use it at all? Perhaps some newsgroup about mapping, sets, whatever.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

What's usenet?
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

Tech Guru

^^^THIS

I know what Usenet is, but I'm fucking old. Most ISPs have dropped their Usenet because of how much bandwidth it used, and now you have to go out and buy access if you want in. So on top of the fact that no one knows what it is now, and the handful of people that DO go out and buy the service, it's also a shitty way to distribute any kind of media. Yes, I know about binaries - still shit.

I don't imagine any compelling legal reasons for any DJs to be using Usenet now.

Tech Guru

I don't personally use this but I have friends that swear by it http://www.easynews.com/

They don't DJ, however.

This 'what's usenet' thing will flush out us old bastards ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

I don't know of anyone that uses news groups for anything other than binaries for pirating purposes. Don't see it as being much of a resource for mappings/sets when you have a million other more user friendly ways of accessing the same material.

Quote Originally Posted by dafe View Post
    I don't know of anyone that uses news groups for anything other than binaries for pirating purposes. Don't see it as being much of a resource for mappings/sets when you have a million other more user friendly ways of accessing the same material.
    That's what I was thinking but I still gave it a go. Usenet had a purpose before bins but forums and other types of communication have redeemed it obsolete. I used it for science newsgroups back in the day but after my ISP dropped the service I simply was able to find whatever I was looking for elsewhere.

Yes you must pay. Yes it is a bitch to set up. And looks like the only purpose it has is to download shit illegally and not good for DJ related stuff.

Thread opened and responded accordingly. This can be closed, deleted, neutralized or spayed. Whatever mods decide.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Newsgroups are super quick though, which is pretty handy when you're err.. stuck downloading all of those completely legal.. err linux distro's.

Used to be with a provider that syndicated 2 of the major US newsgroups, max retention etc. very satisfying seeing your full link speed being utilised for an entire download ^_^

Tech Mentor

Go real old school and login to #rave on IRC while you're at it for a livechat while you're dj'ing!

I love IRC
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!