First DJ gig this Friday! Suggestions?
    Tech Convert

Default First DJ gig this Friday! Suggestions?

Hey all! Long time thread browser, first time poster ...

As of August in 2011, I made my intro into DJ'ing. Picked up a Kontrol S4, and a pair of Mackie's.

I come from a musical background stemming from rock, however over the past 7-8 years its been primarily been house/electronic for me. I also picked up the kontrol s4 rather quickly, as I used to record rock bands back in the day and had plenty of mix down experience... not to mention the S4 seems to keep it as simple as the DJ'ing scene could possibly be!

I've also created a personalized monome I use for grid sequencer. As of right now, it kontrols basic parameters within traktor, including deck A/B play/stop's, channel volumes, a grid xfade, and the sequencer. The setup looks fantastic!

Anywho, I have a gig coming up this Friday, its for a big recruiting bbq/party thing for my club at university. The host estimates around 40-50 people, so I'm thinking the mackie TH-15a's will be prime. What has me worried is figuring out what type of music this group is going to like. Naturally, being a motorcycle club, its a lot of rock and rock-country stuff. However, I feel a lot more comfortable with house tracks, and personally like mixing it better. I guess its not for me to decide if I'm for hire though!

Not to mention, I can be certain its going to be half-half. Half will totally want the rock-country thing going on, the other half will be new uni' kids wanting to hear the newest house/electronic on the block. Do I simply choose a genre and stick with it, or do I switch it up into the fun stuff when I see the alcohol juices start flowing

Anyways, thanks for the great community guys... Ive learned alot so far from everyone. It directed my purchase towards the Kontrol s4 so far, which I love. Apart from my main question, any other advice you could give to a first gigging DJ would be much appreciated.
    Cheers!

Tech Mentor

Have plenty of Top 40 ready... 90% of private party gigs will fall under that category.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Convert

That's what I figured... Gotta play some recognizable hits before the crowd starts thinking its a weird ass mix. Wheres the best source of picking up whats current? I don't listen to radio as much I once did, and I used to check out what was new and big on yahoo music. Is there a better source to get the low-down on what everyones playing on their ipods?

Tech Wizard

as sad as it sounds..university parties + frat beats = happy campers

Quote Originally Posted by Rossty View Post
    Wheres the best source of picking up whats current? I don't listen to radio as much I once did, and I used to check out what was new and big on yahoo music.
    Assuming you're in the US, commercial radio = http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/radio-songs

Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    Have plenty of Top 40 ready... 90% of private party gigs will fall under that category.
    +1

And don't know what's the average age of the party people. But some old school '90s will maybe do also great.
    "Dream if you live forever, live if you will die today"

^^ this also, keep it top 40 and old skool, but dont be afraid to test the water with something a bit harder.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Don't drink to much
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella