Ultrasone DJ1 Pro headphones/VCI-300 issue
    Tech Student

Default Ultrasone DJ1 Pro headphones/VCI-300 issue

I am new to the DJing game, so bear with me. After buying the VCI-300, I researched headphones and went with the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro because of the high marks from various DJ forums. However, the Ultrasones sounded awful when I tried them with the controller -- no bass, very distant sound, no sound in the the right headphone on certain tracks. I have a pair of cheap Panasonic RP-HT227s that sounded much fuller, so I surmised that the Ultrasones were defective. I got a replacement pair, and I just plugged them in and it's the same God-awful sound. If anyone has any suggestions or tips as to what I'm overlooking or doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it (I tried turing up the Overdrive in the Setup/Mixer tab and I updated to v. 2.0.1, but neither changed the horrible sound quality). I've read that the Ultrasones work very well with the VCI-300, so I have no idea what's happening. Thanks a million!

Tech Mentor

buy HD25's but in all seriousness I have no idea whats wrong as I dont have either of the pieces of equipment you are referring to.
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Are they high quality songs that you purchased? Are you using the adapter that came with the Ultrasone's? I had some and they sounded great with everything I plugged them in to.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Does the sound change when you move the jack in the socket? Could be dirty/damaged.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

If it's an original VCI-300 MK1, then there were issues with the headphone output. This can be made better by using the AC adapter, but you also just might want to look into a headphone amp to go along with it.

My guess is that the headphones aren't getting enough power, and so they aren't being driven correctly. Cheaper headphones don't require as much power, and will sound "better" with less.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Student

Thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions! I will get an AC adapter and see if that helps.

cans not getting enough juice
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

if its a vci mk2 you really do need a power supply to get the most out of your phones. I had a similar problem with mine.
    www.elliotgrainger.com

vci 300 mk2
    13in mbp

Tech Student

Thanks everyone -- just to clarify, I have the VCI-300 mkI, not the mkII.

Should I start with a DC 9V 500mA adapter, and then purchase a headphone amp if the adapter doesn't solve the issue, or do I need both the adapter and the amp?

I really appreciate all the help and expertise in this forum

PG

Why don't you try the headphones in some other piece of kit? If they sound fine, then it's the VCI-300.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user