Newbie Old shool turning Digital (at last)

Default Newbie Old shool turning Digital (at last)

Hi There

I have just registered, and ordered my first bit of digital equipment...Native Instruments S2 which should be with me in a couple of weeks & new set of monitors KRK's

Really looking forward to using it as iv had a go on my brothers S4 and it was great bit of kit and easy to use i thought. Im only needing it for my spare room and hopefully some party's hence i just went for the S2

Couple of questions if someone would be kind enuff...

1st - What laptop would be good to use something with maybe 4gb memory and big hard drive?? Mac book Pro is out of my budget at moment.

2nd - Does anyone know if NI are bringing out a flight case for the S2? Or bag?

Many Thanks

Cpod

I use an Asus i3 machine - fairly bog standard Windows laptop. Most modern machines should cruise using Traktor when correctly setup (things like disabling wireless adapators and battery management acpi drivers as they can bugger up the low latency audio behaviour). I think smiTTTen has a script which does most of the heavy lifting for you ...

No idea about the bag/flightcase thing - sorry. I'd be surprised if they didn't do one, but if not, there are a stack of 3rd party bags, and one of them will fit
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Cheers Sherlock

Sounds good to me...prob have a budget of say £500 on a 4gb 250 hd laptop...which should be easily obtained!

Regarding the case i hope NI do as i would prefer to keep it NI although 3rd party will have to do if they dont bring one out for the S2

Cheers

Cpod

Quote Originally Posted by Cpod View Post
    Cheers Sherlock

Sounds good to me...prob have a budget of say £500 on a 4gb 250 hd laptop...which should be easily obtained!

Regarding the case i hope NI do as i would prefer to keep it NI although 3rd party will have to do if they dont bring one out for the S2

Cheers

Cpod
    Think mine was just over £500 this time last year (and it's actually an i5 come to think of it - 500Gb HDD and 4Gb of RAM, and once I optimised it, it's been fine.)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Any laptop currently in production is going to be fine. Seriously. Traktor is not a demanding program.

Just find a good deal on a laptop with good reviews from a reputable company and go for it.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Macbook Air. I know bit over your budget and better PC spec for same money blah blah

I'd love an Air for DJing, think they are slick, but I need a pro for work...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Thanks for reply lads....how do the Sony Viao's perform?

This is the spec of the one im looking at -

Experience the great performance of the Sony VAIO VPCEH1S0E 15.5" Laptop which combines good looks with practicality for efficient everyday performance. Powered by the 2.3GHz dual core Intel® Core™ Processor i5-2410M and running the Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit, this laptop is smooth and powerful. There's also 4GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive, so you have plenty of space for anything you need to store on your laptop.With Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, this laptop is ready to us the internet no matter where you are. A built-in webcam also means you can chat to your friends or make important calls to make the most of your wireless connectivity.As well as speedy processing, you'll enjoy viewing your movies, pictures and web pages on the 15.5" VAIO Display with Intel HD Graphics 3000, giving you a great visual experience. Furthermore, getting online is easy with the WEB button, which provides you with a one-touch internet connection.The powerful Sony VAIO VPCEH1S0E 15.5" Laptop has a lot to offer!

Or anything that has i5 processor,4gb ram and 320 and above hard drive??

Sorry...but i dont know whats best...

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Cpod

Get a light-weight laptop, MacBook air or something similar on the Windows side. Most laptops are more than plenty for Traktor use, but the weight issue is not fun when dragging laptops to gigs.

This one looks ok for the money -

The DELL Inspiron Q15R Switch 15.6" Laptop in black is ideal for home computing. The laptop comes with a powerful Intel® Core™ Processor i5-2410M and pre-installed Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium operating system. A 500GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM provide ample storage for all your documents and multimedia. With an impressive 15.6" WLED HD backlit screen and Integrated Media Accelerator HD graphics you can enjoy clear detailed visuals on your Inspiron Q15R Switch 15.6" Laptop, whether you're surfing the net, watching videos or playing games. A range of connectivity options also enable quick and easy hook-ups to networks and devices, including: built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technologies, 3 USB ports, HDMI output and an 8 in 1 card reader. Style your Inspiron Q15R Switch to suit your mood with one of a variety of switchable lids.Furthermore, the Inspiron Q15R Switch Laptop's 1 megapixel webcam allows you to enjoy video chat with friends and family and make the most of your wireless internet connection.For a fast and intuitive performance the DELL Inspiron Q15R Switch 15.6" Laptop is the ideal choice.